Caseous Lymphadenitis (CL) Vaccine for goats

Aped

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was looking at vaccines online, specifically on jefferslivestock but also on google, and I can't find a CL vaccine for goats. I found one for sheep which also has CD/T but no CL. Do people give the goats the sheep vaccine? Or just not vaccinate goats against CL? I read somewhere you could give them the sheep vaccine then I read somewhere else that goats have an adverse reaction to the sheep vaccine for CL and the FDA has no approved it's use on goats. Should I even be worrying about this?

jambunny

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Have you ever had any problem using the vaccine on goats? My goat mentor, who is also paranoid, talked me out of trying it. I would like to try it if you haven't had problems.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I use it as well, w/ no problems. I've read it will cause false positive test results. Better a false positive test than a real case of CL, IMHO.

They're supposedly working on a vaccine specifically for goats now...
in the testing phases.

Worry about it if you plan to buy, show, or travel with your goats, breed them to outside sources, etc.

In other words, the producer w/ 3 pets who'll never leave their farm...probably doesn't need to worry about it.
Those who will be exposing theirs to outside oogies...need to do their research and decide if it's worth the risk....but I'd say yes, do it.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Your link expired...

I use the case-bac and Essential 3+T seperately.

I know they make one w/ CL and CD and T combined, but I prefer the 2 I use. Essential 3+T can be given in the muscle and I get no shot lumps that way.

Aped

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I got the Caseous D-T for sheep but next time I will probably get the 2 separate vaccines. I actually didn't see the Case-Bac the first time I looked. Thanks.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Last I checked, Case-Bac was still considered a no-no, but that was a while ago.. Glad I saw this thread, because a lot of the anecdotals seem to have changed from "No! For the love of pete, don't do it!!!!" to "We've done it a thousand times with no side effects..."

I'll probably order some Case-Bac soon...not that I expect to bring any goats in, but ya never know what someone's bringing in on their boots. Lots of goats around here..

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Can these vaccines be administered to pregnant goats? What about milk withdrawal?

Latest posts