Caseous Lymphadenitis (CL) Vaccine for goats

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
bdr said:
I have read on other threads and/or forums where people talk about "culling" animals that are less-than-perfect so they will no longer carry on that bad trait in their herd, flock, whatever. Yet, they cart them off to the sale barn. What the heck it THAT?!?! "Our animal isn't good enough to breed or carry on a bloodline so I'm gonna let it be someone else's headache."?
A lot of goats that get put through the sale barn never make it to anyone else's farm. For a good number, the sale barn is merely a layover on their trip to the big briar patch in the sky.

Some may make it to other farms, but....well, anybody with a lick of sense ought to know that even if a goat enters the salebarn healthy, it's coming out the other side with who knows what.. Likewise, anybody with a lick of sense should know that if they buy a goat from the salebarn, it's going to bring who knows what back to their farm with it..

So, I guess the logic goes something like this..... If you cull an animal by sending it to the sale barn, you more or less expect that it's about to get 'ett.' If someone is dumb enough to buy your problem, then that's quite literally their problem.

I've got much less problem with that than with someone looking folks right in the eye and selling their problem animals as replacements in private treaty, complete with a handshake and a smile.. At least at the salebarn, everybody knows they're taking a risk..

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Selling a CL postivie goat, IMHO, is just as bad as selling a 6 teated boer doe kid WITH PAPERS to some kid for 4-H....Or selling a crossbred doe as purebred WITH PAPERS....KNOWING you're doing it.

Some of the "reputable" sellers / breeders should stop seeing dollar signs and do what's right!

I have an Oberhasli doe here now to be bred to our Ob buck...wide face, short and squat, white star on her head. OBVIOUSLY crossed to either pymy or Nigerian....but by golly her "Purebred Oberhasli" papers from ADGA look squeaky clean.

There's a 6 teated boer doe here to be bred...I told the folks she shouldn't be but...they don't seem to care. It's not my doe to cull, but she's not going to be bred to our buck. I told them to come back and get her. They're not happy but I'm not having kids out there w/ 6 teats w/ my buck's name on the papers. (I didn't notice her teats til after they'd dropped her off.)
They seem to think the fact that she has papers and they paid 300$ for her is good enough....arghhhhh!

Anyone who goes to a sale barn should know "You get what you pay for"...but the 2 goats I described above were bought from breeders...
who should KNOW BETTER!

They just look for the suckers and dump the crap off on them. :(

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Unfortunately not everyone knows to be leary of the sale barn. There are folks (like my next door neighbors) who have lived in the city their entire life then decide "what the heck" and move to the country. Then they start thinking "let's have a FARM...!" and bam, they're at the sale barn because they see the word "livestock"....

So, while it may be obvious to those with common sense to not buy from a sale barn, not everyone comes equipped with such a desirable trait.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know Boer breeders who are quick to point out the supernumary teats on their does and say things like "Hey, how do you like that!"...like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

We're primarily dairy...more than two teats is a flaw in my mind, regardless of the breed. I know it's not a flaw on paper as far as Boers go, but to me, it's still a flaw....a flaw against nature, if nothing else.

I often wonder if some of these folks realize that even if a doe has multiple teats on each side, those teats still draw from the same chamber!! So, yeah, maybe you can get four kids under her, but if one teat works better than the other or is located in a superior position -- which is almost always the case -- the kid on the suboptimal teat is STILL being shorted...

Ugh... Sorry... </rant>

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh, and just to show you how knowledgeable one man we know is - his daughter is big into showing boers. Says he knows everything there is about goats - he tells us our girls are NOT dairy goats because EVERYONE knows dairy goats gave 4 teats! :th

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
our girls are NOT dairy goats because EVERYONE knows dairy goats gave 4 teats
*spits coffee on the screen"

Bwuah ha ha ha ha ha ha...mebbers he means COWS.

4 teats, as hard as it is, I can live with...but 6?? Not registerable, period!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
broke down ranch said:
Unfortunately not everyone knows to be leary of the sale barn. There are folks (like my next door neighbors) who have lived in the city their entire life then decide "what the heck" and move to the country. Then they start thinking "let's have a FARM...!" and bam, they're at the sale barn because they see the word "livestock"....

So, while it may be obvious to those with common sense to not buy from a sale barn, not everyone comes equipped with such a desirable trait.
In my experience, most problems begin somewhere in the interval between the "Let's...." part and the "bam!" part. Generally speaking, the brevity of that interval is inversely proportionate to the magnitude of the resulting problem.

Goes for almost every idea the human mind can concoct...sort of a "life in general" principle, I'd say.. The interval doesn't seem to widen for a lot of folks past about 15 years of age, and there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do about it.

Except, that is, make money off of them at the salebarn...and most everywhere else.

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
broke down ranch said:

In my experience, most problems begin somewhere in the interval between the "Let's...." part and the "bam!" part. Generally speaking, the brevity of that interval is inversely proportionate to the magnitude of the resulting problem.

Goes for almost every idea the human mind can concoct...sort of a "life in general" principle, I'd say.. The interval doesn't seem to widen for a lot of folks past about 15 years of age, and there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do about it.

Except, that is, make money off of them at the salebarn...and most everywhere else.
Which is why it's up to the person who KNOWS there's a problem to do something about it instead of letting it become someone else's problem. I know there is nothing to do about those without the common sense God gave a lemon but a responsible breeder could have the integrity to not contribute to their stupidity....

our girls are NOT dairy goats because EVERYONE knows dairy goats gave 4 teats

*spits coffee on the screen"

Bwuah ha ha ha ha ha ha...mebbers he means COWS.
I told DH either he's a total idiot or he thinks we are. Probably the latter but he's the one breeding his show does to unregistered billy's... :idunno

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
broke down ranch said:
Which is why it's up to the person who KNOWS there's a problem to do something about it instead of letting it become someone else's problem. I know there is nothing to do about those without the common sense God gave a lemon but a responsible breeder could have the integrity to not contribute to their stupidity....
Just as I learned long ago that if I endeavored to dole out an asswhoopin to everyone who deserved one, I wouldn't have time for anything else...I learned that saving people from their own stupidity is an exercise in frustration and futility.

Don't get me wrong...we agree, in principle. If things were as they should be, everyone would look out for everyone else -- and for goats -- and CL+ animals would be humanely destroyed..

As this is far from a perfect world, however, this goat owner has decided to buy Case-Bac and move on in an effort to avoid the whole issue coming and going..

I don't like it anymore than you do, I promise.

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey, speaking of the Case-Bac - you remember the woman I was telling you her vet said her goat had white muscle disease because of worms? I was thinking about her this morning and remembered she has CL from that Saanen billy that was here for a short time. The vet lanced the abcess then *vaccinated* the goat. He also gave her an antibiotic shot but he did administer a vaccine for CL. THEN he sent out the culture to confirm CL.....

I think I'll give her a ring and see if she can find out exactly what the vaccine was called.....I know he charged her like $40 for the one shot!