Caseous Lymphadenitis (CL) Vaccine for goats

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
broke down ranch said:
Hey, speaking of the Case-Bac - you remember the woman I was telling you her vet said her goat had white muscle disease because of worms? I was thinking about her this morning and remembered she has CL from that Saanen billy that was here for a short time. The vet lanced the abcess then *vaccinated* the goat. He also gave her an antibiotic shot but he did administer a vaccine for CL. THEN he sent out the culture to confirm CL.....

I think I'll give her a ring and see if she can find out exactly what the vaccine was called.....I know he charged her like $40 for the one shot!
Hmm... So, are you saying that the doe with "white muscle" also had a CL knot lanced that day, or were you talking about the buck getting lanced and vaccinated for CL a while back?

Either way...if the vet administered a CL vaccine without having that particular knot cultured, he either had an autogenous vaccine handy (unlikely) or he vaccinated with Case-Bac or Caseous D-T, since that's the only other CL vax available in the US....even though it's off-label for goats.

Not that I'd doubt a vet to go off-label.....any vet who would treat a goat would have to go off label pretty frequently, given that so little is actually labeled for goats.

broke down ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
No, no, it was an entirely different female than the one he said had the white muscle.

OK, it's kind of a long story. Last year I had 6 girls (4 of breeding age) and no billy so in August 2008 I traded a doeling for a MASSIVE Nubian billy. Well, he did his job so we sold him (no place for a full-time billy at that time). Well, back in February I see the doeling I had traded on Craigslist only now she was HUGE pregnant. I contacted the guy and we got her back. After he heard of the disaster that happened to us while we were gone picking up his billy he says "everyone needs help once in a while" and just gave her back to us. She kidded but was a total PITA to milk so I got tired of having to hobble her every single time just to get a few cups of milk. I sold her to this woman we're talking of. Well, a few weeks later we get a call from the "everyone needs help" guy saying he's getting out of goats and the lady who bought up all the rest of his goats didn't want his 2 billys (one Nubian, one Saanen - both registered) so did we want them? Well, by now we had a place to keep them so they lived here for about a month at which time I put the Nubian with my girls and sent the Saanen on down the road. The woman who bought my PITA milker also got this Saanen billy. Well, he wasn't at her place for more than 2 weeks when I get a call saying he had an abcess that burst and the milker has a lump on her jaw/neck. OK, now I feel like I am being accused of passing on diseased goats when I had NO CLUE about their hidden condition. I think the guy we got them from KNEW he had something going on in his herd and got out fast. Yes, I was suckered BUT he has a CLEAN place, all the goats were fat and slick and bright-eyed. Still, I did quarantine but I am scared as hell my goats will come down with CL.

But anyway, the PITA milker is the one who got the CL shot the very day she was drained. I need to ask the woman when she calls back if the vet advised shots for everyone and if he also gave one to the Saanen.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
broke down ranch said:
No, no, it was an entirely different female than the one he said had the white muscle.

OK, it's kind of a long story. ....

But anyway, the PITA milker is the one who got the CL shot the very day she was drained. I need to ask the woman when she calls back if the vet advised shots for everyone and if he also gave one to the Saanen.
And ask what the shot was!

It would be interesting to know if a vet was using Case-Bac on goats..

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
I know Boer breeders who are quick to point out the supernumary teats on their does and say things like "Hey, how do you like that!"...like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

We're primarily dairy...more than two teats is a flaw in my mind, regardless of the breed. I know it's not a flaw on paper as far as Boers go, but to me, it's still a flaw....a flaw against nature, if nothing else.

I often wonder if some of these folks realize that even if a doe has multiple teats on each side, those teats still draw from the same chamber!! So, yeah, maybe you can get four kids under her, but if one teat works better than the other or is located in a superior position -- which is almost always the case -- the kid on the suboptimal teat is STILL being shorted...

Ugh... Sorry... </rant>
Actually cm, I've milked several four teated boer does, and after I'd milked out the two main teats, I then had to milk out the two supernumeries. Those does had four quarters with a teat for each.

On the other hand, I've also had some four teated does with only 2 chambers.

And I've had four teated does with 3 chambers.

I've had a 6 teated doe with four chambers, and 6 teater with 3 chambers. And yes, as ridiculous as it sounds, a 6 teater with 5 chambers.

Weird stuff, huh? lol

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow..

Well, ya learn something new every day. I never would have thought that a supernumary teat would actually be a supernumary chamber..

In a way...that's almost worse, in my mind. :lol:

Thanks for the info. :D

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
CM...it says your inbox is full, when I tried to send the informative reply to your PM....I'm short on time now but suffice it to say, I think your vaccine should be fine. I read once that it takes 1-2 days at room temp to ruin a vaccine.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
That's good news... :D

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go flush.

My inbox, that is. :lol:

bbredmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but we have also successfully used case-bac in our goats with just minimal lameness.

Well today we brought home two nursing nannies who have never shown cl lumps and I checked them alllll over for any lump scars. All checked out ok. Can I vaccinate nursing moms and what is the withdrawal time? We want to start milking them later this week once the babies are a bit older.

Thanks!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I typically vaccinate our does 4 wks pre kidding, but...I don't see why you couldn't.

You'd have to check the label / contact the maker to see what the withdrawal time is.

bbredmom

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I use Colorado Case-Bac, and the only withdrawl time they have is meat, which is 21 days. I would think milk would be faster. Roll Farms, your family drinks milke from your CL+ goats, right? wouldn't this essentially be the same concept?