Castrated Lamb Not Able to Stand Up

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This thread is giving me the heebeegeebees.

Deal with it. You bought property, you want to raise animals. You’ve kicked around the idea of sheep or cattle. Whatever you raise, there will be excess males, males with testicles, males with hormones, males whose brain is fogged by said hormones, males that will grind you to a pile of broken bones, males that will be a danger to your beautiful grandchildren. Even roosters will attack and flog you. These are facts. You either castrate males or you wean and take to auction at a very young age. Man up. Nobody ever said farming is easy.
You know I’m going to whallop you up the side of your head with the 2x4 of reality. LOL LOL

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Deal with it. You bought property, you want to raise animals. You’ve kicked around the idea of sheep or cattle. Whatever you raise, there will be excess males, males with testicles, males with hormones, males whose brain is fogged by said hormones, males that will grind you to a pile of broken bones, males that will be a danger to your beautiful grandchildren. Even roosters will attack and flog you. These are facts. You either castrate males or you wean and take to auction at a very young age. Man up. Nobody ever said farming is easy.
You know I’m going to whallop you up the side of your head with the 2x4 of reality. LOL LOL
What SHE said! :lol:

TheSheeper

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Honest truth! When I first got my first ram I thought he was a pet. Pshhhh yeah right! My “pet” ended up ramming me into the side of the fence one night. I was lucky to have my brother there to help me out. I was so angry I was ready to castrate that animal right there and then 😂. It’s been a year and a half since I got my first flock and the way I think of them has changed a lot. It’s funny bc you start off thinking that castrating is mean or something you could never do. But then as Bay said: Reality wallops you with a 2x4!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a banded bottle lamb right now. Good grief! Will his nuts EVER fall off? Those things hang on FOREVER!! I like the knife better, but he was already a couple of months old before we decided we just had to keep him. So I will have a sweet lovey pet that eats and contributes nothing other than a live huggy sheep. :lol:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a banded bottle lamb right now. Good grief! Will his nuts EVER fall off? Those things hang on FOREVER!! I like the knife better, but he was already a couple of months old before we decided we just had to keep him. So I will have a sweet lovey pet that eats and contributes nothing other than a live huggy sheep. :lol:
Can you not do the knife method if they are older?

Never needed to... so never looked it up.

In my experience the knife method is so much better, because the kid goes back to normal much more quickly than with the banding method.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey there switch blade Susan, how bout a recorded double live gonzo, knife so scary sharp/one swipe and done tutorial extravaganza. I would like that, I THINK, still thing though 🤔
There are lots of you tube videos you can watch.

That is how I trained my kids so that they could castrate with confidence.

So much easier to teach with video since you can watch together, discuss, then rewind, watch again. Etc.

Verses hearing "wait! What was your other hand doing?" When you are trying to teach them to castrate and you only have ONE that needs to be castrated.

It would be different if you had 20 to run through and teach them on.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve cut at 2-3 months, prefer at a couple of weeks. This is my first banding, probably my last. Since we are taking ram lambs to auction now, I’m not bothering with castrations. I have my merry band of ram lambs cavorting in the side pasture and back yard. Going to take 5 to auction plus one ewe lamb I don’t want in the next week or two. For now, I’m keeping 2 outstanding rams that have superior growth and confirmation. They both are calm, just like their daddy, Ringo. They are too good to take to auction, I’ll try to sell them as commercial flock sires. I’m teaching them manners. It’s so funny. They both have pushed me when I quit scratching them and I slapped their cute little faces. They backed off, staring at me, shocked, tried again, got slapped again. Both waited a couple days, tried again, got slapped again, LOL. I could see their little brains turning, thinking about it. Neither has tried me since. Their names are Star and Snip. They both come up to our 4 and 6 year old granddaughters for scratches. These two boys have every thing going for then except being registered.
Sorry @TheSheeper i didn’t mean to hijack your thread, gushing about my 2 boys!

TheSheeper

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve cut at 2-3 months, prefer at a couple of weeks. This is my first banding, probably my last. Since we are taking ram lambs to auction now, I’m not bothering with castrations. I have my merry band of ram lambs cavorting in the side pasture and back yard. Going to take 5 to auction plus one ewe lamb I don’t want in the next week or two. For now, I’m keeping 2 outstanding rams that have superior growth and confirmation. They both are calm, just like their daddy, Ringo. They are too good to take to auction, I’ll try to sell them as commercial flock sires. I’m teaching them manners. It’s so funny. They both have pushed me when I quit scratching them and I slapped their cute little faces. They backed off, staring at me, shocked, tried again, got slapped again. Both waited a couple days, tried again, got slapped again, LOL. I could see their little brains turning, thinking about it. Neither has tried me since. Their names are Star and Snip. They both come up to our 4 and 6 year old granddaughters for scratches. These two boys have every thing going for then except being registered.
Sorry @TheSheeper i didn’t mean to hijack your thread, gushing about my 2 boys!
Hey I've got no problem with you taking over! ;)😂 By all means: continue gushing!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ringo and Star

B9391CBC-AA1A-4AAB-9895-EA4E9EC5239E.jpeg

Snip

5E6718B4-2719-40D2-A496-D947738EE9D3.jpeg

Latest posts