Castrated Lamb Not Able to Stand Up

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is believed to be a callus from his youth. He was bred by Virginia Tech University in their parasite resistance program. Rams were in a pasture and they “rammed” each other. He must have got it all out of his system because he is a sweetheart now.

That is the truthful version, the BS version is that he is a Unicorn. LOL LOL

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Banding is super easy...when they're over 4wks old. The younger, the harder it is to find the testicles, keep hold of them and band.
Some people use a string to help hold them, but I just use the band and bander tool. Adding a string just slowed me down and added stress to the job.
Just slip the sack in the open tool n band and close tool, but don't roll off band. Feel for the testicles, if one is missing, find it and open tool slightly, then press testicle through the band, close tool. Repeat until you're positive both are fully in there. Once both are in, roll band off.
Baby testicles also feel different than older ones. Am I on a watch list now?? 😅
But they do, more narrow and just odd, but should be consistently firm.
On older lambs, 4+ months, I use two bands and try to get them as low as possible.
Problem with banding big lambs is the big hole left behind on the sheep. They need to be checked more often for infection, and once testicles feel hard, cut it off or at least cut the wool so the sack isn't stuck to the body by hair and causing infection.

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It is believed to be a callus from his youth. He was bred by Virginia Tech University in their parasite resistance program. Rams were in a pasture and they “rammed” each other. He must have got it all out of his system because he is a sweetheart now.

That is the truthful version, the BS version is that he is a Unicorn. LOL LOL
Aaawww - poor thing! I like the BS version better...

Latest posts