Cat Diet

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
That might be tricky since he free feeds. We could try. We have changed to a different food for him that should help a bit, not much, but something is better than nothing
Changing feeds would be of minimal help. as she can really eat anything in his path. The servings might help. Try minimizing it.

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hey guys, me again.

Remember Tiggy, my mom's cat, from my cat spraying thread? Well, our vet said he needs to go on a diet.

Any ideas on what to do?

-MiniGoatsRule
Hello! How's Tiggy? How's he doing? I hope he's in good shape now? what are you feeding him?

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hey guys, me again.

Remember Tiggy, my mom's cat, from my cat spraying thread? Well, our vet said he needs to go on a diet.

Any ideas on what to do?

-MiniGoatsRule
hows his diet? Is doing well now. keep me posted please, thanks.

LickTheCow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Tiggy hates all toys and will actually frocking murder me if I as much as look at him while holding a leash... I've tried it before and somehow live to tell the tale.

If none of that will work for him, stop free-feeding now. I know Tiggy doesn’t like toys, but make him work for food and he will play.

At this point, please remove his bowl as well. Completely replace it with a toy that holds food. Show him food comes from the toy, and if he wants it, he will work for it. If he doesn’t eat, he doesn’t eat.

If he doesn’t eat for a long time (a week, to the least, two for the most.) You can let him have a bowl again, but only give him a quarter of a cup twice a day (Once in the morning, once at night.). He doesn’t have a shut-off switch when it comes to food, so you cannot free-feed Tiggy. If you feel bad about feeding him so little, you can switch to a can of wet food once a day. Preferably diet wet food.

Once as he has lost some weight, you can attempt my previous advice.

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If none of that will work for him, stop free-feeding now. I know Tiggy doesn’t like toys, but make him work for food and he will play.

At this point, please remove his bowl as well. Completely replace it with a toy that holds food. Show him food comes from the toy, and if he wants it, he will work for it. If he doesn’t eat, he doesn’t eat.

If he doesn’t eat for a long time (a week, to the least, two for the most.) You can let him have a bowl again, but only give him a quarter of a cup twice a day (Once in the morning, once at night.). He doesn’t have a shut-off switch when it comes to food, so you cannot free-feed Tiggy. If you feel bad about feeding him so little, you can switch to a can of wet food once a day. Preferably diet wet food.

Once as he has lost some weight, you can attempt my previous advice.
Thank you so much! I will give that a try. It sounds like, despite being such a weird cat, that that will work. We will go toy shopping for Tiggy

LickTheCow

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score

YourRabbitGirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Changing feeds would be of minimal help. as she can really eat anything in his path. The servings might help. Try minimizing it.
Although kittens should be fed up to three times a day, once a cat is an adult (about one year of age) feeding once or twice a day is perfect, says the Cornell Feline Health Centre. In addition, feeding only once a day should be appropriate to the majority of cats.

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
hahaha! That would be very bad news for her surely. I bet shes gonna be very very mad!! hahaha!!
I wish we could just do that, but the cat will kill us, and we are often out of town, so he free feeds. How do you cut back on his amount of food for free feeding? He will NOT rasion his food...

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wish we could just do that, but the cat will kill us, and we are often out of town, so he free feeds. How do you cut back on his amount of food for free feeding? He will NOT rasion his food...

But you can. Just leave enough feed for him to have an appropriate amount each day and then no more...if he eats it all the first day, so be it....then he goes hungry for the remaining time. Won't kill him at all.

We do the same for the dogs when we go out of town...and they gobble all their food the first day and go hungry the next 2-3 days, sometimes 4 days. Tough luck, they've had the appropriate nutrition for those days and can live on those calories for the prescribed amount of time.

It works.