Cat got a hold of baby rabbit! Need help!

sunflowerenvy

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
One of our outside (about to be dead!) cats got a hold of a baby rabbit this afternoon. My husband chased the cat off when he saw what was in her mouth. When we saw her, her whole back layer of fur was gone, almost like she was skinned. She's still breathing and jumping around but we took her in to clean it up.
We cleaned it up with water, she was screaming the whole time we washed her. Then we put triple antibiotic on her and wrapped her up in gauze. My daughter has an extra rabbit cage, luckily. So we're keeping the bunny in there with a towel. and i am hold it now
Does anyone have any suggestions on what else we can do to keep it alive?

thank you

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have not had this happen with one of my own but have had it happen with a wild one. If it was one of mine I would now put it in with mom and let it be. I do not think when one is wounded that bad that a human is going to be able to provide the proper nutrition for the baby to survive. I think now is time for nature to guide the way. And like I said, this is just my opinion.

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that - Usually with rabbits (especially baby ones) the stress of being chased alone will cause the rabbit to die.

You did what you could - don't be too upset with the cat if the bunny was wild (or not, for that matter). It was doing it's job. But if you would rather not have this happen again, then I would suggest advertising a "free barn cat"...

TheSheepGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We've had dogs get a hold of one of our rabbits before, he made it, but it took a very long time for him to heal.

I'm sorry to hear about the baby, though. Babies can be really sensitive, especially wild rabbits and not domestic ones.

I'm assuming that it was a wild rabbit that your cat found, right?

Latest posts