1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Ear Tags - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Catahoula?

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Skiesblue, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Mar 4, 2019
    Skiesblue

Skiesblue Loving the herd life

“I have mismanaged my life and I’m on top of an elephant. “ Richard Thomas (John boy Walton).
    I have a Catahoula pup about 6 months. A litter was dumped near me. Good pup but crap around sheep (I get that) but I don’t know how to fit him in. Suggestions ?

2. Mar 5, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

We had an awesome pup, had to find him another home. He killed poultry and stalked the sheep. I was afraid of him getting in their pasture.

Skiesblue likes this.
  3. Mar 5, 2019
    SA Farm

SA Farm True BYH Addict

At six months he’ll be going into the “rebellious teen” stage. If you keep on him, work with him, there’s every chance that he’ll be fine with some time and training.
    If he’s already chasing, biting, etc, you’ll have more of an uphill battle, but I wouldn’t give up just yet, personally. That said, if it came down to him or your herd, I’d be rehoming as Baymule did.

If you’re not experienced with dog training, find a class or trainer nearby who can assess him and help you out with some practical steps to take with him.

Skiesblue likes this.
  4. Mar 5, 2019
    Skiesblue

Thanks all. I did some obedience training and showing 30 years ago so I think I’m good to go there. He is definitely a rebellious teenager. The other dogs rumble at him then he gets submissive. He’s absolutely horrible on a leash and doesn’t like to be led by the collar. But on the plus side he’s smart and anxious to please. Worked on the long line today just walking. We had fun. The LGDs are all working so I think he feels left out. I can post pics if you all like.

SA Farm likes this.
  5. Mar 5, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Of course we like! We love pics! My dog wound up in a great home with no poultry. He just was in this frenzy of killing, digging under the coops, and I witnessed his frenzied behavior. I knew it was never going to stop, so I found him a good home where he is loved, spoiled and family.

SA Farm likes this.
  6. Mar 16, 2019
    BlueMoonFarms

BlueMoonFarms True BYH Addict

He needs a job. The breed is a very headstrong one that requires a firm leader or else he will become that leader.
    They enjoy hunting and are frequently used to hunt boar, which they do and adore. It may be possible to redirect him to rodent control? If you have a rat, squirrel, or rabbit issue you might just be able to redirect his urges onto something like that.

Skiesblue likes this.
  7. Mar 16, 2019
    greybeard

greybeard Herd Master

unusual behavior for a leopard, or any cur for that matter.

Skiesblue likes this.
  8. Mar 16, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

Seems to me he likely needs different training than just obedience. And I suspect you shouldn't let him in the pastures with the sheep and the LGDs. Different breeds for different purposes. You don't want the Catahoula herding the sheep that the LGD's are guarding.

Skiesblue likes this.
  9. Mar 17, 2019
    Simpleterrier

Simpleterrier Loving the herd life

Curs have a high pretty drive but all the ones I've had have been very submissive. Wich made it easy to break from the wrong animals that they chase. My male was protective of me from animals he wouldn't let a cow or goat or pig to close if he thought it was gonna hurt me. He was one of the best we spent hrs together coon and ground hog hunting. Very very smart dog.

Skiesblue likes this.
  10. Mar 17, 2019
    Skiesblue

He is a pup. A pup thing. 6-7 months around dogs 4-5 yrs.