Cattle Breeding 2018

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Vet called this afternoon with everyone’s results. He’s going to email them to me and I’ll post more detail about exactly what was tested for but everything was negative or normal titers.

Plan going forward is to blood test everyone at 50 days after breeding next year to verify pregnancy. This will prove who is bred so that we aren’t just assuming it’s a loss.

Elsa will still be getting shipped, probably Monday.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So if everything comes back normal/negative, then my suggestion is still to do a lepto vacc.; it is killed, perfectly safe for any time to use, just as a precaution. Maybe some of the vacc you use have it. We do the cows at least once a year, at preg check, but often twice if we are getting them to go through the chute for anything. Also, I'd look into trich and vibrio. I am not sure if you can get killed. I don't use any mod live vaccines, just my little "quirk".

And maybe they were not settled but just didn't show a repeat heat 2 21 days or so. Have had that happen. Had 2, that I was pretty sure were bred AI but they just calved and it was past their date and the calves are definitely angus from our clean up bull. I never saw a repeat heat and I did do 2 repeat breedings AI on 2 others.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
The vet recommended a specific vaccine. I want to look it up and I’ll add the link.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Reviewed the email results. They were tested for lepto x7 types, BVD, brucellosis, neospora, and toxoplasma.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Killed virus so it will do fine if by chance someone is bred. The only thing is the vet didn't test for Trich, which can be passed through live cover. That would be a bit of a concern for a borrowed bull that you used. We do worry about it when we buy cattle and they are just from a herd dispersal.
Hopefully it is just one of those things this year. It sure will hurt when there are no calves to sell though.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Trich and vibriosis were both mentioned. I’ll ask when he calls again with the rest of Blossom’s results. (A goat that we had tested too.)