Cattle Johne's disease

cluckmecoop7

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was wondering if I can get sick with this by drinking cows milk from the store.
Thank you!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pasteurization is said to effectively destroy MOST all detectible levels of the micro-organism that is also known as para-tuberculosis. But a study in Ireland I think, found that there were viable levels of the bacterium. So there are 2 thoughts on it but normally pasteurized milk was thought to be safe. There were a few studies done about pasteurizing and then feeding that milk to baby calves and that it was considered safe.
Johne's is associated with Crohn's disease in people although there have never been any fool proof , proof, that it caused it in people. Still there is enough of a correlation for people to want to steer clear of drinking raw milk from Johne's positive cows. Cooking and higher temps will destroy the organism in meat.

cluckmecoop7

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you for the information! :)

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
What I always wanted to know was how likely it is for you to give your goat kid or calf Johnes from feeding it pasteurized store milk or milk based replacer (or powdered colostrum) since it's common practice to do that when you're out of your own tested milk, and not all the Johnes gets wiped out at standard pasteurization temps, and not so many breeders test for Johne's and are willing to share. If animals could get measurable levels of Johnes antibodies from drinking the pasteurized milk, I'd be a bit concerned about drinking it on occasion myself (since I'm a germaphobe).

The conclusion I've come to after trawling too many scientific journal articles and things put out by credible institutions is that it's probably (hopefully) unlikely, but nobody seems to know or want to know for sure...and that's annoying. It's a disease that kills things and shortens the useful life of a certain percentage of animals, and may even affect people. Probably is not acceptable, although right now it appears to have to be.