caught a chill?

Demigoddess

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Usually the quiet one, my sweet doe has been bleating and letting out sad little "muuh"-moans. She doesn't seem bloated, and is drinking and eating her timothy hay just fine. Her other odd symptom is running a low temperature. In SoCal it's low 60's F in the day and has been getting down to the low 40's at night, my goats have housing available but like to sleep on my back porch. Can a goat catch a chill? Did she catch a cold from me not putting her up at night? No coughing, no runny nose, her poops are fine, stream could be a little steadier so I'll make sure she's got fresh minerals. I hate to see her uncomfortable and the 97-100 degree temp.

If y'all know anything I could do, I appreciate the crowd sourced insights.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
How is your doe doing? Did you take her to your vet?

I have not had any of my goats catch a chill and going from 60's down to 40's is something your doe should normally take in stride. During our winter we can see temps drop 40 degrees between high and low. As long as they are not in a draft they are good to go.

Would you please update us with her status?

Demigoddess

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for asking!

Yeah, I think we had freakin' polio. I was giving them too much grain and they are just out of forage. The first thing I noticed was the loud baby was silent and the quiet baby was being awful vocal. I took their temperatures and they were danger level low. So strange, it's really not that cold outside. Once other weird neurological symptoms manifested (odd posture dilated eyes) I thought rabies (they were getting weirdly aggressive with eachother) or Listeria but both of those would probably cause fever. I figured it out, a couple shots of Thiamine and my goats stopped tripping.

The little goaties got probios and I've been adjusting their feed, but now one of my girls is starting to look a little skinny.
I'm just struggling through these winter adjustments.

The other matter is that I cannot convince them to sleep inside their pen. It gets down to 35-40 F at night with occasional freezes. On colder or windy nights I lock them in but they seem so reluctant to be put up. Maybe I can get some little dog igloos and see if they will sleep in them as a compromise.