CBL=)~~~> great mood

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So, i thought I might try a journal thingy.

So we own 7 chickens. 2 cochin roosters, Danny, the partridge, is sweet and kind but always in the coop. Our frizzle Ylf has messed up toes that are shorter then they should be. Our cochin pullet is buff, and is sweet as ever. We used to have a blue one, Splash, who was skiddish but sweet. Sadly a fox has gotten in our coop..We have a Brahma pullet named Joey is sweet and comical. Our OEGB rooster, Gryphon, is BEAUTIFUL but not a cuddle bug. Nugget, or Opal (she has 2 names) is a orpington who lays brown eggs. Our pure evil EE Domino is head hen and a jerk. She lays green eggs, every day we get 2 eggs or none at all. We used to have a sweety turkey and a guinea, but a fox got them. :( :( :( :( :( :( We have lost a gosling too to the fox. We have lost more but those were my fave ! Now we have to kill the fox because no MATTER what we do, he gets them :(

WE HAVE 2 NIGERIAN DWARF GOATS! A DOELING, WHOSE BROWN AND WHITE , AND A BUCKLING (or maybe wether with infection in his scrotum) WHOSE MOONSPOTTED :celebrate
Chugiak (wether) born 3/02 (i think), Sassafrass(Sass-doeling-) born 3/24 (i think...)

Okay, just read the ' Where to start ' so here are the questions ;)

OK so this was what originally my first journal looked like but I'm changing it..

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
I live in AK, Fairbanks USA, and its cold and dry, or hot and dry.
2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
I have 2 married parents who have never been divorced and have been married for 17 years. I have an 18 old sis, and I'm too young to say my age xD
3. How would you define your farm?
A chicken one with live stock dotted here and there.
4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
I dont know..Most likely make a better chicken coop so i can have more chickens

5. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building? Do you want to?
Nope, and no. I'm not a 'consruction' person...
6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
Am I supposed to KNOW what those are? :hu
7. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?
No one...well the pretty animals..xD
8 Is it a hobby or an occupation?
Hobby, but since I don't have a job I see it as a job
9. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?
Chickens! Most likely Cochin chickens
10. In what types of farming will you never choose to do?
Meat..I don't mind raising some things to eat, but doing that specifically and more advanced? Could never do it...
11. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?
Yeah !
12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
Dreaming, myself as a chicken. Usually day dreaming, or when I'm listening to a GOOD song
13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
I can drive a tractor, and car, and a stick !!! Not a semi, I would like to try though..Oh, did you mean legally? Oopsy....
14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
Nope, but it would be fun to try and learn
15. Can you legally have all forms of livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
Yeah, but we only have a sheep and goat. We can have camels!!!
16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
Nope, and I would lose a finger if I tried. I mean my mom has almost lost her finger with a KNIFE, 3 times ! Wonder if its genetic...
17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
Yeah, and YEAH
18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
Yup, EVERY year we go on a deep sea charter, so much fun. Once i caught a 134 lb halibut !!
19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City farm? Country?
I dont own any, but we're like a City Farm ^^ But we dont have any limit on animals
20. Are you a Novice, Technician, degreed?
Novice
21. What is your farm specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
Chickens..no doubt. It was funny cause at this little petting zoo someone had BLRW..i knew EXACTLY what they were ^^
22. What is your dream job?
Well, I want to work on a farm (when older) and breed rare animals, and rehabilitate, and such to help animal and animal breeds.
23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?
No, and if I did...You wouldn't want what i made... XD
24. Are you interested in herbal animal medicine?
Yeah, not 100% but I think that we should use natural stuff to heal our live stock
25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
The place we're living now, just with a nicer barn ^^
26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
Nope
27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?
Um... My super hero? BUFFY THE WORM SLAYER ! !!!! :lol:
28. Are your family or friends also interested in animals?
2 Are. My 'Big Sister' (of BBBS) is, and she has chickens. Currently i am coaching her on it, and her friend wants a GOAT! Well her friends wife. The other person is my BFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF but all her chicks were eaten :(
29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?
Yeah, its not too bad. Never tried raw milk, but would like to (same for Goat milk), and I HATE eggs, fresh or not. DISGUSTING

30. What was your best animal experience? Worst?
Best? When I saved my roosters life. Worst? When i saw my rooster bloodied, hurt, and gasping for breath. Best? Me trying to stop from bursting out crying but holding it in, watering my rooster, and feeding him bits of bread until he recovered. And having him live in my house for a while ^^
31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
Not really. We eat a lot of stuff we hunt, and fish, thats it though pretty much.
32. What skills do you have that help you be more a self sufficient farm?
I dont crack a lot of eggs.... NOT! Probably because we re-use a lot of stuff
33. Do you process your own meat? Can or preserve?
Nope. But I want to breed some lambs and butcher them. WAIT ! Once we killed some chickens and sealed them..Does that count?
34. Do you use alternative energy sources on your farm? Would you like to?
No..and do you mean like a windmill? Yeah.. Wait, is a well an 'alternative energy source' ? No? Figured...
35 What is on your to do list?
Get a goat, sheep, cow, silkie, and.... A goose. Oh and clean my room (but i think thats a 2 year project xD)
36. Have you ever lived completely off what you produce? Would you like to?
No, because we have only ever had chickens. Would I like to? Heck ya!!! Unless it means i cant have twinkies.... :th
37. In what do you trust?
Huh? I trust animals...? Mostly cause humans arent as trust worthy and as animals and if animals let you down you expect it
38. Do you make and fix things yourself to save money?
Nope, our chickens make eggs that sell for like $3 but i dont think that counts...
39. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits?
Not really...I've always been respectful to animals and stuff. The most that has changed is I learned that just observing the animal, is just as fun as holding it.

redtailgal

Reaction score
well, he he said get a goat, you'll have to have two, because one goat is a bad idea.

But if you get two goat, then someone will notice and say "I have a friend who needs to get rid of this goat"...........

and you'll have three.

But three goats could quite possibly leave one cold lonely, cuz they tend to pair up.........so you'll need to get another.

You'll "accidently" buy a bred doe who will have a single kid, so you'll have to find another kid for that one to play with or he/she will drive you crazy.......

and so the cycle begins.

Pay close attention, folks. Its rare to get to see the cycle begin.....we usually only see the effect of a long standing Goat Addition Syndrom (GAS), but here we are fortunate enough to see the very first symptoms. With enough study, maybe we will discover better treatment options. Right now, the only known treatment is goat breath.

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
well, he he said get a goat, you'll have to have two, because one goat is a bad idea.

But if you get two goat, then someone will notice and say "I have a friend who needs to get rid of this goat"...........

and you'll have three.

But three goats could quite possibly leave one cold lonely, cuz they tend to pair up.........so you'll need to get another.

You'll "accidently" buy a bred doe who will have a single kid, so you'll have to find another kid for that one to play with or he/she will drive you crazy.......

and so the cycle begins.

Pay close attention, folks. Its rare to get to see the cycle begin.....we usually only see the effect of a long standing Goat Addition Syndrom (GAS), but here we are fortunate enough to see the very first symptoms. With enough study, maybe we will discover better treatment options. Right now, the only known treatment is goat breath.
:yuckyuck :gig :lol: but very very true

ILuvSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
redtailgal said:

and you'll have three.

and so the cycle begins.

1 ~ Forgot to put that i was getting 2 xD and LOL ! Sounds like what will happen !! Until my dad finds out we go from 2 goats to 10... ^^

AND ~ So since we were getting 2 goats one if my sisters. I dont mind. But she wants a sheep...She always has to get these things but then she ends up not caring...I wouldnt care if she was getting a goat cause then she would end up not caring fo rit, and it would become mine..but no, she wants a SHEEP !!! Now, i know ill end up LOVING the sheep but for know i'm just mad... :rant Plus, shes just getting this sheep because she thinks it looks Cool, thats just how it is... >.<

This is the sheep she wants (Icelandic) ~
SRX534K-AI.jpg
now, i wouldnt mind if she was getting a all pretty colored one like this (ya ya i know - color doesnt mean anything..but still..xD)
005.jpg

Oh, and heres the COCHINS BRAHMAS AND...well an OEGB rooster, an EE mutt mutt mutt and a orpington..xD

3483c22f_008.jpeg
This is Gryphon, the OEGB mutt
e3030a7a_chickensandNEWCOOP006.jpeg
This is Nugget our sweethart Orpington
a9d573db_IMG_20120707_232659.jpeg
This is Domino. Oh and see how she looks evil? Yeah..shes PURE evil...
bd5dea33_001.jpeg
This is Danny, our (not so updated pic of) cockeral. Hes a real sweety.
6bcb835a_CHICKIES049.jpeg
This is Oleo, another not so updated pic, but shes my 'Button' chicken because as a chick she would always stand like this xD
b3ef0136_CHICKIES005.jpeg
And here is our brahma, when she was REAL little ! Shes bigger then the chickens above her, and shes younger !!!! XD

Ill get more updated pics laterz ;)

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Since you enjoyed the pic of my little polish chick on the boat from the POW thread I thought you may enjoy some reent pics of her. I did determine it was a female thanks to BYC. She and the other chicks are 7-8 weeks old in the pictures
Here's a more recent pic of her.
4667_dscf3398.jpg

Find her in this pic! Should be pretty easy as she is the only polish!
4667_dscf3386.jpg

There is also a turken in the group pic, along with a cochin, a leghorn, an Ameracauna (the one facing away from the camera), and an EE/polish mix that is believed to be a cockeral and will likely find a new home. You can see the edge of my frizzle chick in the left corner too.

Our chickens include 6 adult hens (2 RIR, 4 EEs). WE just sold our adult roosters recently. I just posted on BYC last week to determine gender on my chicks since they were at 7-8 week age mark. Our chicks include 2 white Ameracaunas (1 pullet, 1 cockeral who will be the new rooster for the coop when he grows up), 2 white leghorns (both pullets), 1 frizzle cochin (pullet), 2 cochins (1 pullet, 1 cockeral according to BYC people, but I am still unsure about the one they think is a cockeral, it will likely find a new home if it is a boy), 1 turken (pullet), 1 polish (pullet), 1 EE/polish mix (cockeral that will find a new home if BYC gender people are right).

ILuvSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
marlowmanor said:
Since you enjoyed the pic of my little polish chick on the boat from the POW thread I thought you may enjoy some reent pics of her. I did determine it was a female thanks to BYC. She and the other chicks are 7-8 weeks old in the pictures
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/4667_dscf3398.jpg

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/uploads/4667_dscf3386.jpg

There is also a turken in the group pic, along with a cochin, a leghorn, an Ameracauna (the one facing away from the camera), and an EE/polish mix that is believed to be a cockeral and will likely find a new home. You can see the edge of my frizzle chick in the left corner too.

Our chickens include 6 adult hens (2 RIR, 4 EEs). WE just sold our adult roosters recently. I just posted on BYC last week to determine gender on my chicks since they were at 7-8 week age mark. Our chicks include 2 white Ameracaunas (1 pullet, 1 cockeral who will be the new rooster for the coop when he grows up), 2 white leghorns (both pullets), 1 frizzle cochin (pullet), 2 cochins (1 pullet, 1 cockeral according to BYC people, but I am still unsure about the one they think is a cockeral, it will likely find a new
home if it is a boy), 1 turken (pullet), 1 polish (pullet), 1 EE/polish mix (cockeral that will find a new home if BYC gender people are right).
Hey, I'm a BYC person, lay on some pics and ill give my thoughts !! Oh, and your 'sultan' now looks like a polish Mix, like you said. In the chicky pic she looked like she had a beard, either way, I'm jeaulous !!! Ya your turken is a rooster (we had a red turken rooster also) and the one chicken on the far right corner looks like a roo too. Cute chicks !!!

Oh yeah, we have a frizzle. IF we order chicks I'm gonna get him a frizzle girl friend 8D Oh, I gotta go take some pics !!!!

marlowmanor

Reaction score
ILuvSheep said:
marlowmanor said:

Our chickens include 6 adult hens (2 RIR, 4 EEs). WE just sold our adult roosters recently. I just posted on BYC last week to determine gender on my chicks since they were at 7-8 week age mark. Our chicks include 2 white Ameracaunas (1 pullet, 1 cockeral who will be the new rooster for the coop when he grows up), 2 white leghorns (both pullets), 1 frizzle cochin (pullet), 2 cochins (1 pullet, 1 cockeral according to BYC people, but I am still unsure about the one they think is a cockeral, it will likely find a new
home if it is a boy), 1 turken (pullet), 1 polish (pullet), 1 EE/polish mix (cockeral that will find a new home if BYC gender people are right).
Hey, I'm a BYC person, lay on some pics and ill give my thoughts !! Oh, and your 'sultan' now looks like a polish Mix, like you said. In the chicky pic she looked like she had a beard, either way, I'm jeaulous !!! Ya your turken is a rooster (we had a red turken rooster also) and the one chicken on the far right corner looks like a roo too. Cute chicks !!!

Oh yeah, we have a frizzle. IF we order chicks I'm gonna get him a frizzle girl friend 8D Oh, I gotta go take some pics !!!!
I posted pics of the turkens comb on the turken thread on BYC and the experts there said it was a girl. The one you must be talking about is the black one in the front. That is our EE/polish mix, he will end up rehomed likely since we don't plan on keeping more than one roo this time around. We already sold our 2 adult roosters we had so that the white Ameracuana chick that is a cockeral can be the only roo when he gets older. We seem to have 3 roosters and 7 hens in our 10 chicks right now. I predict that all roosters other than the white Ameracuana roo get new homes.
I would love to see your frizzle!
ETA: I'm guessing you and CochinBrahmalover are siblings!

ILuvSheep

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
marlowmanor said:
ILuvSheep said:
marlowmanor said:

I posted pics of the turkens comb on the turken thread on BYC and the experts there said it was a girl. The one you must be talking about is the black one in the front. That is our EE/polish mix, he will end up rehomed likely since we don't plan on keeping more than one roo this time around. We already sold our 2 adult roosters we had so that the white Ameracuana chick that is a cockeral can be the only roo when he gets older. We seem to have 3 roosters and 7 hens in our 10 chicks right now. I predict that all roosters other than the white Ameracuana roo get new homes.
I would love to see your frizzle!
ETA: I'm guessing you and CochinBrahmalover are siblings!
No, im talking about the cockeral. Post a better pic, how old is 'she' ?

Nope, same person. Long story why i have 2 acct's, but i mostly get on Cochin but i dont know my passwords for either acct, so when i want to get on since im always signed in it depends what computer im on to see what acct im on xD

marlowmanor

Reaction score
Our chicks are 8 weeks old now. The pics were taken last week when they were 7 weeks old. I have to get some better pictures of them. I just got some comb shots of them last week to post on BYC to figure out genders on them. I didn't get the best pictures because I was trying to handle chicks that didn't want to be held in one hand and handle the camera with the other. I have to get my DH to help me get some better pictures of the chicks and when I do I'll have to share them on BYH as well as BYC I guess. I was going to try to get him to help me this weekend but we ended up planting our garden instead and it's been raining all weekend and into the week now too. Hopefully I can get him to help me this week. I'll be glad when we can join the chicks with the adults it will make things so much easier.

Latest posts