CD-T Injection Site Abscess

Angeliki Manouselis

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
All 5 of my goats got their CD-T vaccines done almost 3 weeks ago.
No reactions, everyone has been acting normal.
I am still new to goats and this was my first time with injections so I had my friend who is a vet tech do them SQ while I held my goats and watched. She decided to do all right hind legs. Which now I know I should have insisted she do the shoulder/armpit area. But what do I know?
So now today I feel like a horrible goat keeper because I just noticed my 2 month old doeling has what I am guessing after looking online, is an injection site abscess, on her right rear leg. She is acting normal, playing, eating, bright eyed, not even limping at all...

*I took a photo after I put betadine on it so it looks bloody and worst but it was not bleeding, just open and raw.*

Can anyone confirm this is what it is? Should I just keep an eye on it and keep it clean and keep putting betadine on it? Antibiotics would just null and void the CD-T right? They are all due to get the booster done this Wednesday, should I have my friend do them in the correct area now?
Thank you
——————

A56CAF65-EF35-4458-BC36-034404E221C6.jpeg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
If that is where the vaccine was given then I'd say yes. Keep it clean like you are with the betadine. You can put some triple antibiotic on it as well (ointment). Watch it and definitely spray some fly spray - the screw worm spray goes on blue so you know you are getting the area you need.

Some vaccines tend to give more lumps/abscesses than others.
Location - I prefer over the ribs. This way you know it is not in a CL area.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
BTW I do have one line that reacts to CDT by always getting a small abscess. It is just the one line. I also am picky about the brand I give. One brand gave all my goats a lump that got nasty. I still with the simple plain Goat Vac CD&T. I don't do 8 way or anything like that.

Angeliki Manouselis

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
BTW I do have one line that reacts to CDT by always getting a small abscess. It is just the one line. I also am picky about the brand I give. One brand gave all my goats a lump that got nasty. I still with the simple plain Goat Vac CD&T. I don't do 8 way or anything like that.

Thank you for the info!
Think it’s ok to vaccinate her with the booster again Wednesday? Or should I start all over once the abscess heals?

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most abscesses at an injection site for CD&T vaccine are a reaction to the vaccine.
That doesn't look like they typical abscess at least not what we have experienced.
Typically a CD&T vaccine produces a "sterile" abscess.

"Some abscesses are caused by an irritant like an injected medication that was not completely absorbed. Since they're not caused by infection, these kinds of abscesses are called “sterileabscesses. Sterile abscesses aren't as common as infected abscesses, but they can occur on occasion."

They typically go away on their own.
Yours looks like an infected abscess.

Angeliki Manouselis

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Most abscesses at an injection site for CD&T vaccine are a reaction to the vaccine.
That doesn't look like they typical abscess at least not what we have experienced.
Typically a CD&T vaccine produces a "sterile" abscess.

"Some abscesses are caused by an irritant like an injected medication that was not completely absorbed. Since they're not caused by infection, these kinds of abscesses are called “sterileabscesses. Sterile abscesses aren't as common as infected abscesses, but they can occur on occasion."

They typically go away on their own.
Yours looks like an infected abscess.
I feel so bad. I will keep treating it and skip her booster.