CDT Confusion

DellaMyDarling

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ugghhhh so in prep for Mama to kid next month, picked up a vial of CDT.
This is her 2nd freshening.

Talking with previous owner, she said Mama had spring vaccinations with CDT (end of April this year.)

So...what does one do?
Looks like I must also be prepared to give kids CDT a few weeks after birth. Every website seems to suggest slightly different needs. Some say rabies is needed, but I know in my state that must be vet administered.
A bunch of sites say have epinephrine on hand. If we cannot access it easily here for my humans, no way I'm dishing out yearly for a goat. Am I being a fool?

I know of a local goat vet, but I do not want to be bullied into paying for a visit unless I truly need it. We literally cannot afford a vet to come for just a consult.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I try to keep it simple for my six....CD&T every 6 months....I know of two goats locally that died of tetanus, I would give the pregnant goat the CD&T shot 4 weeks before due date, and not worry about a rabbies.....
Give the kids their shot in the arm pit when when 4 weekd old.
I try to do my own vetting also and understand not having the extra funds for a vet when you can do things yourself. I Have found that it really helps to massage the area you give the shot SQ so it won't abcess....hope this helps you some ...:)