CDT help!

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are looking at the Bar Vac CD/T vaccine, that is for cattle, sheep and goats. The dose for sheep should be the same as for goats.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
The goat vaccine works fine for sheep. I believe it's all bovine or equine origin, anyway.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
I bought the more $ bottle, says multi species CDT.
Where do I give the shot and how much for such tiny sheep? [babydoll southdowns, btw]

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
A CD/T shot is given SubQ, usually right behind a sheep's elbow. The dosage should be on the bottle. For the Bar-Vac CD/T, the dosage is 2 cc per head for sheep. You don't need to adjust it for the size of the animal.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you give the ram the same shot while giving the ewes one? I'm guessing it's yearly, but since they are new here, Idk when his was done, would be easier to do it at the same time.

Also, what is a good all around sheep wormer?

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Ewes need to be vaccinated yearly, about 30 days before lambing. Most sheep producers vaccinate their ram at this time, too, so they don't have to worry about vaccinating him another time.

For deworming, there are a couple brands available...Ivomec, Cydectin, Valbalzen, Privermectin, and I'm sure there are others. DO NOT use white wormers (which include Valbalzen) on pregnant ewes. ALWAYS dose according to the directions on the label and follow its instructions. I have used Privermectin with success.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
Two were fairly easy to catch, but the one carrying twins[hopefully] was a lot smarter and faster than the other two, lol. The other ewe stood fine against the wall, but the ram and bigger ewe rather not be calm.

Bottle said to throw away the bottle once open, does that mean actually opened up or poked with the needle? And why is that, bacteria growth risk or?

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Don't know why the bottle says it and I'm not sure what it's referring to, either. I know many sheep breeders who don't actually throw the bottle away but rather keep it and use it on lambs so it doesn't go to waste. We always used to use the whole bottle, but since my neighbor downsized his flock to five sheep (not including my four), we don't use the whole bottle (and we only need it once a year) so we jut throw it away.

Latest posts