CDT Vaccine

Calendula

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I finally remembered to ask the Nubian breeder if she had given the mothers their CDT vaccine.

So when should I give the kids their CDTs? They are a week old today and I think that it's alright to do it as soon as possible, but I want to make sure before I do anything.

And while I'm making this thread, when do I need to give my pregnant does their CDTs? It's at a month before, right? And then how do I do the kids after they're born?

ALSO, for future reference, is the dosage for Nigerians and Nubians different? And is it different for kids versus adults?
You would think at this point I would remember this stuff, but my stepdad usually does it. :hu And I want other opinions than our ND breeder.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
We're the dams vaccinated before kidding?

Yes, you want to give it a month prior to kidding. Nigerians get the same does of Nubians. I like GoatVac brand. Most are 2cc per goat, occasionally you have one that requires 3cc- read the label. Same CDT for adults and kids.

I give the 1st dose to kids at/around 3-4 weeks and follow up 3-4 weeks later. We have a lot of kids born, hence the range. If the kids are eating a lot of feed, I like to vaccinate right at 3 weeks. All of our does get done before kidding.

You will need to monitor kids for Cocci and parasites as well.

If you are new to Nubians- you need to make sure the get FED for best growth. I like raising standard kids on free choice feed.

Calendula

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They were not vaccinated before kidding.

And thank you for all the other information. :)