Central Virginia Newbie. Planning for turkeys, pigs, and sheep.

Bicoastal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Joining you all from my new little farm in Central Virginia. Rehabbing the farm and planning for sheep, turkeys, and a couple feeder pigs. Interested in reducing grocery store meat for environmental reasons.
4H5A2568.JPG

Bicoastal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So fun to see "neighbors" in VA. Wave @farmerjan just "over the hill"! Let's talk. Who do you usually use for processing?

@Alaskan, Farm was a small-scale beef cattle operation for forty years. Barn, chicken coop, and outbuildings. Floors tunneled by ground hogs. Thousands and thousands of feet of 6- to 8-strand barb or smooth wire. All of the fencing needs to be replaced for my purposes. It's going to take a few years. I'm still overwhelmed. I find myself turning a slow circle around one stall or shed, after going in there for a specific purpose, looking at all of the stuff that needs doing and not knowing where to begin.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Start with the most necessary..... make a priority list... and then be flexible... Sometimes it is just doing one small pasture at a time... one single 300 ft stretch of fence....
Cattle panels are great for temp enclosures.... and they are moveable, flexible to a degree, and very versatile....

Latest posts