Central Virginia Newbie. Planning for turkeys, pigs, and sheep.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome!!

As stated I would definitely make a list of things you would like first and then make points under that list of steps needed to get the critters (pens, fences, feeders, feed supplies, feed storage, etc.) You will get there. I think all farms are a work in progress forever and sometimes it just feels like you're getting nothing done and the are still mountains to do. A list helps motivate and know what you are doing that day or week or month.

We have been at our place for 3yrs now and there are still mountains of things to do.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Alaskan, yep. Goat fence (4x4" squares) with hotwire at top. May do barbwire on the ground level so I don't have to worry about it shorting out if I get behind on weedeating. And there's looooots of barbwire here. ;)
Oooh.... you could get crafty...

Make barbwire snowmen, barbwire wreaths....

Bicoastal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@Crealcritter , I'm ordering broad breasted white turkeys from Valley of the Moon. Minimum order is 20 poults, anticipated end of July. Is that enough time to get up to processing weight for Thanksgiving?

What sort of gender split do I want? Valley of the Moon is a rare hatchery that does sex poults! I'm thinking 5 toms and 15 hens but I have no real reason for that breakdown except fewer buyers want giant birds. Seems like the most popular size is under 18 lbs.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are going to house them in confined quarters and free feed, they ought to get to a decent butcher weight but not real big. If you are planning for some free ranging, which turkeys love, then you are looking at Maybe......End of July to Thanksgiving is less than 16 weeks. If you start out the broad breasted ones with ability to really range.... they will like it even though they are bred to be confined..... They will grow slower and the meat will be firmer and have more flavor.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas. We have Katahdin hair sheep. Do you want wool or hair sheep, and what breed?
With all that barbed wire, you could make rolls of it and sell it for crafts. Advertise on Pinterest!