Challah 101 Class (PIX)

Rebbetzin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Yesterday my Bat Mitzvah student made her first Challah! I was so impressed with how well this 11 soon to be 12 year old was able to read the directions on braiding the six stranded Challah and do it just perfect her first try! Many adults stuggle with a six stranded braid. I am so very proud of her!

TA DA!!! Here is her first Challah!
I think it is quite wonderful!

382012JuliannaChallah009email.jpg

Here is the Challah 101 Certificate.

ChallahClassCertificateemail.jpg

Her Bat Mitzvah is this Saturday. Last night was the last class for her. Here is a photo of her dad, taking a video, and my husband giving her advice on her reading.

SpeakLouderemail.jpg

(Jeannine and her family always sit way in the back of the room.)

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
How exciting! That is wonderful what you do for these young people to help them become responsible adults. It looks wonderful, better than some I have seen at the bakery.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
Mazal Tov! My Challah never looks that good. It usually looks like it tastes. (a sweet lump) Maybe you should teach me. It makes me hungry just looking at it. I hope her Bat Mitzvah goes equally well.

Rebbetzin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Queen Mum said:
Mazal Tov! My Challah never looks that good. It usually looks like it tastes. (a sweet lump) Maybe you should teach me. It makes me hungry just looking at it. I hope her Bat Mitzvah goes equally well.
I improvised on an old Chabad recipe. Every week is a science experiment when making bread!

redtailgal

Reaction score
Its is beautiful! Please congratulate her for me, both for her fabulous Challah and her reaching her age of responsibility.

Was the Challah made with traditional ingredients?

I had a Jewish friend several years back, (she has since gone to meet her Maker), and she made Challah with the youth in her area. I had occasion to try it once, and afterwards I made up every excuse I could to be there when I could get a bite. Absolutely, WONDERFUL! Rich, soft on the inside, crusty on the outside, oh oh oh , it was soooooo GOOD.

What a fitting representation of the Manna sent from above!

Thank you for reminding me of such a pleasant memory!

Rebbetzin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
Its is beautiful! Please congratulate her for me, both for her fabulous Challah and her reaching her age of responsibility.
I sure will!

redtailgal said:
Was the Challah made with traditional ingredients?
It is an old Chabad recipe that I "tweeked" a bit.

redtailgalWhat a fitting representation of the Manna sent from above![/quote said:
Thank you for reminding me of such a pleasant memory!
You are quite welcome. The Challah was a real treat in the olden days. since during the week we
ate the dense, hard wheat breads. Challah was a taste of heaven on earth.

Queen Mum

N.E.R.D.
Reaction score
You know, I miss those dense hard wheat breads! I now kind of crave them. I used to look forward to soft sweet breads and now I want my wheat bread. AND pumpernickel bread? OH, boy do I miss that. My mother used to make the best pumpernickel. You could chew it for a year!

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Challah is so yummy! She did a wonderful job! Congratulations to her!

redtailgal

Reaction score
Rebbitzen......do you make unlevened bread still? Do you have a recipe that you would be willing to share?

My friend had given me a recipe for a wonderful unleavened bread, it was hard and dense and a dark brown, but it was lost in a house fire before I could use it.

For those of us that eat the "fluffy stuff" on a regular basis, its nice to get back to the hard stuff from time to time!