Check out My Latest Purchase - Boer Mom and Daughter.....PICS

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well after purchasing a beautiful Boer Buck, I decided to increase the number of Boer does in our small herd. I had been watching Craigslist and came across someone who is moving and was looking to sell a mother, daughter combo. They have been tested Negative for CAE and CL by a reputable VET and are both bred to a pure (Unregistered) Buck not mine. Mom and Daughter are not Registered. I have an email to the former owner to confirm when they started with the buck, as they were will him when I picked them up. Please take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think. They were asking $400 for the pair, however I paid $225 for the pair. Yes, they have horns, but I could not find anyone who disbuds their boers. I plan to disbud their offspring, at least any that I plan to keep.

Mother in Back, Daughter in Front
w20121124_Mom_Violet_1.jpg

Mother in Back, Daughter in Front
w20121124_Mom_Violet_8.jpg

Mother on Left, Daughter on Right
w20121124_Mom_Tulip_9.jpg

Daughter on left, Mother on Right
w20121124_Mom_Violet_7.jpg

Mother
w20121124_Mom_3.jpg

Daughter
w20121124_Violet_1.jpg

And I had to add my helpers. I wish I could curl up in the hay and take a nap.
w20121124_Helpers_8.jpg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good Deal! and preggars too! If they have does you really will be increasing your herd! Glad they are CAE and CL neg.
I've never seen a disbudded Boer around these parts. Just curious , why disbud a meat goat?

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Southern by choice said:
Good Deal! and preggars too! If they have does you really will be increasing your herd! Glad they are CAE and CL neg.
I've never seen a disbudded Boer around these parts. Just curious , why disbud a meat goat?
I also have dairy goats and they are disbudded. So I am going to see how it goes with these girls in my small herd. But going forward, I think will disbud regardless.

Renegade

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Not looking to be the bearer of bad news but they both appear to have wry tail. It is considered a genetic defect.

Donna

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Renegade said:
Not looking to be the bearer of bad news but they both appear to have wry tail. It is considered a genetic defect.

Donna
I kept looking at their pin and tail and wondering what looked off. That stinks. Sorry.

Renegade

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge it is considered an autosomal recessive gene. Since they are showing the defect they inherited it from both parents. That means they can only pass on a wry tail gene. They do not have a non carrier (clean) gene to pass on. If bred to a clean buck the offspring stand a 50% chance of developing wry tail. If bred to a carrier it's 75%. Unfortunately wry tail does not always become obvious until goats are over 5 months old.
JMHO but I would not be willing to take a chance. Of course people that are just looking to put meat in the freezer don't care about the faults.

HTH

Donna

ThreeBoysChicks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well that stinks. I do intend on using their offspring for meat, but I was trying for something that was a decent animal. I thought their body's looked good. I checked both and they only have two teats. Well I will use this as a learning experience. I will keep them till their babies are born and sell the offspring for meat. Will then make the decision, do I keep the does and breed them again, assuming their offspring will go for meat or sell the does out right and look for some better does.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Southern by choice said:
I disbud my boer does as I just don't like horns. I don't show so I don't need the horns. When I grab them by the collar I hate getting my hand pinched between the horns and their bodies. I usually grab a horn and use it as a steering wheel, but I like it better with no horns to mess with. I have also had a kid bump against me with their horns and put a good size bruise on my leg. They weren't being mean, just being kids.

No horns if the goat is staying on my property and I have a choice.