093.jpg
009.jpg
005.JPG
053.JPG

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just love all the chicken pics and the egg pics... :drool

It is so funny that with all the colored eggs we look forward to the white eggs now! :D Sometimes we have a shortage of white eggs for the cartons and we are scrambling ( no pun intended there ;)) looking in the nesting boxes and outside hides to find one!

I love chickens! I love their funny ways and how curious they are and some are so spoiled they don't know they're a chicken and don't care for the "feathered" things out there. Our Barred Rocks used to come up on our front porch and hop on the porch furniture and look in the window to see what we were doing. We have geese that climb the side porch stairs and look in the family room door and if you open it they will walk right in like they own the place.
I have one Cochin Bantam that is MY baby... every night she comes to the side door we open it and she sits right behind me perched on my computer chair. If she gets real tired and wants to go to bed she does naughty things and if she is thirsty and has no water she will jump on the keyboard. She is out in a breeding pen now so I am not totally nuts. :lol:

chicken pickin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Southern by choice I see you have 300 chickens of different breeds. Do you breed any specific breeds?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
yep I think we do about 17 different chicken breeds, 2 different geese breeds , 2 duck breeds, and we did 2 turkey varieties- now we do one turkey variety.

I am reducing everything this year though, as we will need to bring in soil and reseed everything from the 2012-2013 rains and flooding - the land got destroyed and the erosion from all the flooding was terrible... 2013-2014 hasn't helped... so as they girls are in clean out pens and the others go into breeding pens they will need to remain there while the property is taken care of... they do not like being penned even for breeding so I am selling alot off. Free- ranged birds just don't like being penned and of course they will eat all the new seed as well as dust bathe in all the new dirt coming in. Our babie will be penned for close to 4 months! :ep

It is all good though. Honestly I have TOO many birds. We noticed we are not "enjoying" them as much now because of the amount of work involved is so overwhelming and the cost is unreal. I'd like to get down to 100-125. (which means 150 :p)

I am working on a page of how we do our breeding with so many free ranged birds and some of the things we have tried and liked and didn't like as well as what ended up really working for us. It is just taking a long time. :thI am behind on my website and my LGD work and I do a lot in my county with goats/education.... so time seems to always be of short supply. ;)