Chicken, pig, and tortoise safe pesticide?

Sundragons

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have a pro Pest control company service our house monthly, but for the past 18 mos or so I have not been letting them do the back yard because of our menagerie's daily presence in every corner. That's led to a problem with red and black ants, crickets, black widows and scorpions. I'd really like to not have those things running the yard, particularly not the spiders and scorps.

My question is, does anyone know of a product I can request from the bug guy that would be safe for the chickens, tortoises, and pigs who free range the yard?

TIA

NicoleSmith

Just born
Reaction score
Maybe you could ask them... They would be better at suggesting these things...
Whatever they suggest, just don't go and use it in full dose, first try a small amount and check how your herd is doing, and then go on a large amount...

Sundragons

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I've asked. They have been reluctant to offer suggestions. Plenty of dog and cat safe options, but poultry and chelonians are a different matter. :(

NicoleSmith

Just born
Reaction score
I am very sorry, but I am new to these. I am really not in a position where I could suggest you something my self... Hope someone with experience will help you...

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
My friend with tortoises said that there isn't anything safe around tortoises as they don't urinate often enough.
I use a product for ants called terro in my kitchen, they take it back to the nest and it kills them . Idk if it works on fire ants though. I think I heard corn meal kills them too. :idunno again on regular ants.

Sundragons

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My friend with tortoises said that there isn't anything safe around tortoises as they don't urinate often enough.
I use a product for ants called terro in my kitchen, they take it back to the nest and it kills them . Idk if it works on fire ants though. I think I heard corn meal kills them too. :idunno again on regular ants.

Terro is good stuff, i use it inside when we see ants as well. Problem with it outside is that covering the bait stations deterred the torts and chickens just fine, but the pigs see it as an invitation to play with the cover. :( Thanks though! I may just go with a localized spider killer (EG WD-40 and a lighter). Scorps, not sure, I guess night hunting and relocate them.

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why relocate the scorpions? If you go through the time and energy to find/trap them why not just eliminate the scorpions? Some things really don't need to be relocated to become someone else's problem.

Would you relocate a rattlesnake?

Sundragons

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Why relocate the scorpions? If you go through the time and energy to find/trap them why not just eliminate the scorpions? Some things really don't need to be relocated to become someone else's problem.
Would you relocate a rattlesnake?

Yes. I'd absolutely relocate a rattlesnake. It's just living it's life and we happened to encroach on that. Killing them because they came in the wrong yard isn't fair to them. That's like shooting me because I walked in the wrong house accidentally. Are they dangerous and nothing to mess around with? Absolutely. Are they worth killing for simply existing? In my opinion, no. Only my opinion and I don't judge, different strokes for different folks and I'm not walking in anyone else's shoes.

Scorpions are beneficial predators as well and if I didn't have the clucks in the yard I'd just let them do their thing. They're killed immediately if they get in the house, but outside I don't mind them. Again, they were here first and we're the invader. I have undeveloped open desert immediately close where they can be relocated and only be a bother to the crickets living there.

The widows though, they're far too dangerous and numerous to be allowed to stay, and there's no practical or safe way to relocate them. They have to go.

BoboFarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I don't have a suggestions but I would be very careful with any chemicals deemed "pet safe" by the company. My neighbor got a pup, Jake, from one of our litters several years back. They started spraying the "pet safe" pesticides around the house when Jake was about 5 years old. He immediately started having seizures. Rather than connect the seizures to the pesticides, they gave him up saying they couldn't deal with the seizures or the mess he made when he had them (he had grand mals and lost his bowels). It's been two years since we've had him back and his seizures immediately stopped when he got out of that house.

DexterThompson

Just born
Reaction score
I also agree with NicoleSmith that you should ask the pest control guy that comes to your home, they can better tell you about the products you can use. As you have chickens, tortoises, and pigs in your house, have you asked the exterminators about the chemicals they are using while the extermination process. My friend from CT was also facing some pest infestation in her home and she was also worried about her chickens at the same time, so she checked on the internet for someone that uses eco-friendly chemicals and found Pest Control Monroe CT. She called them and let the exterminators exterminate the house. It is been almost six months, she never faced the pest problem again.

Latest posts