Chicken poop as herbicide?

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am trying to clear a space for a vegetable garden. Enter Bermuda grass. The sworn enemy of gardeners. It laughed at Roundup, Inhibit etc. I have ? 20 lbs of chicken poop. Could that be spread on the grass to kill it ?
I’m using containers for now but hope to have a plot ready in weeks or months.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Okay it’s dynamite then. Just blow a big crater and backfill... (neighbors are going to talk though). Seriously does anything take out Bermuda but leave soil useable for gardening?

Hipshot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bermuda is a runner grass shallow rooted.Drought will kill it .If dry enough long enough So you can take off the top 3 inches. Get all the roots .Then a solid 12 in at least border .That extends 6 nches above grade. So start with digging a trench on the outside of the area you wish to till. The side away from the planting area should be vertical at least 8 inches deep.It spreads but having a vertical edge will help keep it back .Don't put the spoils in the garden area . Make a pile away from the garden cover with black poly or something like it .Roundup will kill it. You just have to apply it three or four times.Double the recommended amount .Spray the garden area. Wait 14 days if no results Spray it again.Once dead or killed down good dig it out .It is doable .You have to stay after it .Even if you mulch till the outside edge pull any that makes it across the ditch. Costal Burmuda makes good hay would rather be wet than dry .Goes dorment in late summer.But I have heard ,the only way to be rid of it is to move.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
How about a foot of hay to soften the ground around the grass roots, then plant right into the hay and grass, but put your bedding plant root system just below the roots of the Bermuda. 80% of the root system of BG is in the top 6 in of soil, so if you plant just beneath that it could be your veggies will not have to compete for the nutrients as much?

That way you BG can be used sort of like a mulch layer under the hay, plus a network that breaks up the soil structure. That's the only way I've been able to work past BG and it was successful.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
The herbicide I used two weeks ago suddenly kicked in. Yay. I don’t like using that stuff but I’m getting too old 😵 to do prolonged battle with the mighty Stolon empire. Pew pew with some more Roundup and maybe good to go in a couple more weeks (I still have all that chicken poop though).

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know a few ranchers who swear by vingar and orange oil. We have coastal here and it's a pain in the garden it grows up and over and through and crack in the large telophone poles that i use as my garden border. Drives me crazy and it does go dormant in some areas of our yard but others it doesn't its weird I think some areas hold better water then others.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ll try that. I have time and plenty of grass to experiment on. Ironically it doesn’t grow all that well in my pasture. Maybe I should graze the yard and garden the pasture. :he

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Lol isn't that typical lol. I use our yard grass for the rabbits hay and grazing for the goats and calf when to tall lol.

Latest posts