Chicken question! 😂

Jenessa_09

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi guys! I live in Oregon and I am looking to buy some hatching eggs online. This is my first time, using a foam incubator I bought at Wilco . 🤷🏼‍♀️ 😂Looking for an assortment of some Easter Eggers, buff Orpington‘s, Polish, and maybe some assorted bantams. I’ve looked at some websites but most of them don’t have the breeds or they are out. Any suggestions? Thanks! 😁

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Look at hatcheries for chicks. It is easier, chicks ship much easier than hatching eggs. If you can’t find what you want in eggs, maybe you can find chicks. Good luck!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Backyardchickens the sister site to us usually has egg swap threads and people selling hatching eggs. Be aware hatching eggs shipped in the mail have a low hatching rate like think 50% worst case. Otherwise try local farming facebook groups, or craigslist. I have seen hatching eggs and chicks listed on both.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with what the other people have said. And, since your incubator is new and this is your first time hatching, I would avoid expensive shipped eggs.

For the assortment of breeds you want, go the shipping hatched chicks route like @Baymule suggested. And then to practice hatching, buy eating eggs from Craigslist from someone close by who keeps a rooster. Those will be cheap to buy, ought to hatch well, and you can sell “barnyard mix” chicks cheap fairly quickly. (Unless you fall in love and decide to keep them!)

IF you ever decide to buy hatching eggs from eBay, be VERY careful of the seller. Try to research them. There is a disreputable auction technique where they get a different eBay account (prob themselves) to bid against you until you hit your max, and you lose the auction. And then the next day you get an offer that they will sell you the eggs for your top bid price. (They claim the “winner” backed out, or that they have more eggs to sell.)

I would never buy from a seller if this happens to me. (It did and I didn’t) There are a lot of legit egg sellers on eBay, but it’s hard to distinguish them from the disreputable ones. If you can find someone who’s made a name for themselves in their breed, that is your best bet.

Someone who’s selling 20 different breeds? How well are they able to manage all that? An actual established hatchery will have it down to a science. Those won’t be show-quality chickens, but for millions of people, they are good enough.

Have fun with it, and try not to get addicted to hatching! Good luck! 😂

Latest posts