Chickens really- My adventure into Goats

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another question now that I'm asking breeding related questions.
How common are birthing issues with Does and rejecting the babies? Maybe 4 goats is enough for me and I should castrate Levi soon and not have the problems and stress of having babies and put my girls lives in jeopardy?

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
We just had a buck put under and much to my surprise he did excellent ! When I expressed my concerns to the vet about putting him under, my vet told us that it was lidocaine that goats had a adverse reaction to....
After the vet removed Rockys horns he injected him with a reversal drug, took him five minutes to wake up, fifteen minutes later he walked with me to his area....
Worked slick !
Phew! That's a relief!
I'm so glad you had a great experience. Puts my mind at ease..👍

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Another question now that I'm asking breeding related questions.
How common are birthing issues with Does and rejecting the babies? Maybe 4 goats is enough for me and I should castrate Levi soon and not have the problems and stress of having babies and put my girls lives in jeopardy?

If you LOVE things just as they are... then sure, castrate him and don't breed him...there are tons of neglected goats in the world and neither of us need to contribute to that population.
But breeding is a great adventure if you breed for a better and healthier herd or to sell as a milker or pet..I take full responsibility for any life that I help create by breeding my animals. So that means finding them a great home if I sell them...
I have lost at least a half dozen kids and at least four does to breeding issues in the last four years, some were mistakes of mine and some were genetics of the goat...the heartbreak is the same, it is really painful to loose a goat but equally joyful to be a observer of that new kid arriving.
You have a lifetime to add more goats, breed them and enjoy your goat family, perhaps you just need some more time to figure it all out for yourself, :love , your a smart woman, you got this :thumbsup

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Biggest mistake...over feeding my goats because I thought they looked better....
Nope, lesson learned last weekend as I butchered a wether for the freezer..full of fat around his vital organs, we were killing him with food and it really made me realise that I had been doing my goats a disservice. They have now been cut back on the amount of their pellets and we are already seeing a improvement .....yepper, don't love them to death with food for sure ;)

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you LOVE things just as they are... then sure, castrate him and don't breed him...there are tons of neglected goats in the world and neither of us need to contribute to that population.
But breeding is a great adventure if you breed for a better and healthier herd or to sell as a milker or pet..I take full responsibility for any life that I help create by breeding my animals. So that means finding them a great home if I sell them...
I have lost at least a half dozen kids and at least four does to breeding issues in the last four years, some were mistakes of mine and some were genetics of the goat...the heartbreak is the same, it is really painful to loose a goat but equally joyful to be a observer of that new kid arriving.
You have a lifetime to add more goats, breed them and enjoy your goat family, perhaps you just need some more time to figure it all out for yourself, :love , your a smart woman, you got this :thumbsup
Thanks. I'm going to really sit and think this over. I will also discuss the risks with my husband. I would be so devastated if something I allowed to happen actually killed Fancy. 😔
She sure isn't asking me to breed her. She just loves me and so attached to me too. Levi is so awesome and the sweetest little man too. He doesn't need to be a Buck either. I think I might have already decided my goats lives?
I sure love the muppets! 🤠👍

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Biggest mistake...over feeding my goats because I thought they looked better....
Nope, lesson learned last weekend as I butchered a wether for the freezer..full of fat around his vital organs, we were killing him with food and it really made me realise that I had been doing my goats a disservice. They have now been cut back on the amount of their pellets and we are already seeing a improvement .....yepper, don't love them to death with food for sure ;)
I definitely don't over feed my goats. My Vet was so impressed with the condition of my goats. She told me to continue doing as I have been. ❤️🐐

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello Denise! Thanks for your kindness and help.
Our goats do look alike! Hopefully yours isn't as silly and busy like Ozzy. 😃
She’s not like him, but she is trouble on the milk stand, and has stinky breath!🤣🤣🤣. But she loves to nibble my nose!! They are great!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
About the breeding issue...I have not kidded even close to Barb...(@B&B Happy goats ). But, I only had issues after they were disbudded...mom didn’t recognize their smell..so for two weeks we put her up to the milk stand to her help her nurse, and we stalled all four. Shannon, you know me...my kids have brought sooooo much incredible joy to my life! If I were you, maybe just do it once...get a few kids, then be done..,the experience alone is mind blowing. Then make ?Levi a wether and never have to worry about breeding issues again. We have a buck because we plan to breed, and we plan to keep doing dairy. I cannot keep some 15-21 kids each year...I have 7 does, So we will sell most of them this year, as I like Mt somewhat small herd as it is now. Selling will be the worst part. But if you only sell one..it’s not bad. Mom doesn’t bawl...transition works pretty well. Weaning is rough, I won’t kid you there. But...parenting is tough..but, it was worth it...I feel the same about my goats...the are ten times the worth the effort I put in everyday. I’d do it over very day if I have to. Hope not to...🤣🤣. Look a bit about it, you have lots of time...but, kidding , I.mO, a wonderful thing that, opens your heart and fills every bit if you with joy!

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
About the breeding issue...I have not kidded even close to Barb...(@B&B Happy goats ). But, I only had issues after they were disbudded...mom didn’t recognize their smell..so for two weeks we put her up to the milk stand to her help her nurse, and we stalled all four. Shannon, you know me...my kids have brought sooooo much incredible joy to my life! If I were you, maybe just do it once...get a few kids, then be done..,the experience alone is mind blowing. Then make ?Levi a wether and never have to worry about breeding issues again. We have a buck because we plan to breed, and we plan to keep doing dairy. I cannot keep some 15-21 kids each year...I have 7 does, So we will sell most of them this year, as I like Mt somewhat small herd as it is now. Selling will be the worst part. But if you only sell one..it’s not bad. Mom doesn’t bawl...transition works pretty well. Weaning is rough, I won’t kid you there. But...parenting is tough..but, it was worth it...I feel the same about my goats...the are ten times the worth the effort I put in everyday. I’d do it over very day if I have to. Hope not to...🤣🤣. Look a bit about it, you have lots of time...but, kidding , I.mO, a wonderful thing that, opens your heart and fills every bit if you with joy!
Thanks. I have time to really think this over. It sounds so exciting and I know I would be so in love with the babies. ❤️