Choosing 4 calves - New Photo's

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like the tigerstripe for sure. How they turn out is dependent on how you grow them out, as well as their genetics. Brangus/Nellore is going to result in a pretty significant Bos Indus influence, since both breeds are brahman influenced to begin with. Yours look to be of Red Brangus (red angus+brahman).
Should be excellent mothering ability, good dispositions, and great milk production for their calves.
The one you have chosen as a pet for your mother, I like least. There are 3 kinds of animals and what they exhibit that I look for in docility.
1. Flighty, high headed, physically nervous animals. I cull 'em.
2. Just the normal, easy going, easy handling gentle animal. These are what we all want.
3. The timid, pushed around, 'dumb' animal that can barely care for and fend for herself much less a calf. The rest of the females push them around. No matter how many times they are worked or run thru a facility, they never seem to know what to do. Not exactly aggressive, just a pain in the butt to get them to 'do'. Easily bullied at the feed trough and bale ring by the others and subsequently, don't grow well. They tend to have a certain 'look' about them, in their head structure and faces. For lack of a better term, a 'retarded' look. Your future pet reminds me of that look. Maybe I'm wrong...

I'm sure you already know all this, but for those here at BYH not familar with Nellores, they are named after the sub region of India they originated from, and all of India does this in regards to regions and their cattle.They're all Brahman (Zebu) but the animals from that region just carry a different name, and it carried over when the Spanish brought them over to the Americas but especially in South and Central America. In India, they would more likely be called Ongole, which is part of the Nellore district. Starting to see some Nellores on the Texas gulf coast because of their better heat resistance and foraging ability.

Latest posts