Choosing 4 calves - New Photo's

MasAhora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We want to buy 2 brangus and 2 nelore hiefers approx. 7 months old.
We've met with the farmer and agreed the price. He has quite a few for us to choose from.
I noticed a few that were similar size but bulkier and calmer than the others. Which I liked.
What else should I look for in a 7 month old?

We want them to raise calves, sell to our local butcher and keep part of the meat for us. If we wanted to can maintain 10 on our pasture (mild winters here), so we have a little flexibility with butchering age/selection once the girls are ready to meet our friends bulls.

MasAhora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just to add, I wasn't very good at comparing the moving calves to the body conformation charts I have -they would stop moving!! Should I assume it will obvious at around 6-7 months old how good their body conformation will be?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Probably the best way to determine what the kids (calves) will look like all grown up is to see what the parents look like. If you have a good relationship with the farmer you're buying from, and from the way you described it, it appears you do, why not ask for his assistance in picking them out and ask for his explanation as to why he's choosing each one? Good luck and I hope you'll share some pics when you get them.

MasAhora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well the farmer has selected specific bulls for his breeding, so we assume he has chosen wisely (we saw the bull but it was surrounded by the herd). He seems a decent guy, the farmer. We just want to make sure we'll choose cows that will calve easily and their calves gain weight nicely with few health issues. It'll be a lot easy for us if we get 4 good starter cows, so we'll chat to the farmer again, hopefully he'll be straight with us.

cjc

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know absolutely nothing about the breeds you are looking at but being a small cattle raiser myself temperament is not everything but its definitely the bulk of it. Especially when it comes to breeding. I always go for the cows/calves that are not head shy. I would never buy a wild one again that's for sure. Even with a proper handling system they can be a nightmare. You want a heifer that is going to allow you to intervene during calving if she needs it.

MasAhora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well for better or worse these are the 4 girls we ended up with - brangus-nelore mixes ....we figured with 4 it is a basic start that can be corrected/adjusted with experience and wiser future buys.
There is my friends 12 month old bull in the photos, but he is designated for a wedding feast in a few months, so ignore him. The 5th one on the last photo is my Moms future pet....sigh.

What information can your expert eyes give me? Nothing stated will offend me, I want to learn.

MasAhora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
OK why can't I post photos?

This site is not very friendly for users.

ETA...OK slowly figuring it out

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Brangus I am familiar with, Nelore I have never heard of, would love to see pictures! I think you have to make 10 posts before you can post pictures, it's to keep undesirable things out.

Where are you located?

MasAhora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I am in Paraguay in a very green tropical part of the country. Our hot summers and mild winters make Nelore one of the best choices. In a few months we might buy a pure Brahman or two, the farmer says he has a couple of calves that come from extra calm mothers.