Choosing a farm sitter?

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
When I was preparing for farm sitting, the gal had over 20 milkers and even more non milkers along with multiple bottle babies, donkeys, sheep, chickens, pigeons, cats and dogs. Someone was going to watch the birds, cats and dogs as well as take care of her sons dogs and chickens next door so all I had to do was focus on the large livestock. The "pet" sitter bailed last minute and didn't tell anyone. I was there when she was supposed to be there and obviously she wasn't so I took care of everything else as well.

I, myself, have had pet sitters bail on us and ALWAYS have a back up. You can never account for an emergency where you are out of town and the person who is supposed to be caring for your animals isn't doing it.

I usually will give $50 a day and if someone is staying at the house will buy extra groceries that I have asked what they like to eat. We are usually not gone more than a day or two.

Last edited:

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our sitter is a member of our dairy goad breeders association. She is also the ring steward for our show, her mom is the show secretary. Her and her mom also help us clip our goats for shows, and helped with our linear appraisal. The daughter is I guess in her late 20's and is in the coast guard reserve, so she is very responsible.

She stays at our house when we are gone, and takes care of all of the animals including the dogs. She charges $40 per day. We make sure the refrigerator is stocked with groceries. :)

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Contact your vet(s) to let them know you'll be out of town. 1 - they may know someone who is experienced and does farm sitting. 2 - it will give them a heads up in case the sitter needs to get the vet out or take an animal in. The vet may want a credit card on file just in case, or they may be ok with billing you.

Expect the best, but prepare for the worst: is the sitter capable of handling an emergency? Can they recognise bloat, colic, etc? Can they check minor stuff like limping, or will you get a vet bill for a farm call to remove a pebble from a hoof? Will you want called before they do anything medical? Can you trust them to make difficult decisions if they can't get ahold of you? Maybe you can have a backup person for them to attempt to get ahold of, if they can't reach you.

I tend to overthink things, can you tell? :)