Choosing an LGD puppy

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
When you get to vet school make sure to take extra classes in goats. Seems to be a shortage of vets that WANT to deal with goats (at least as I read on this forum).

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
:yuckyuck Take extra classes in goats? Hell, with her practical experience, she could probably teach some herself!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good enough!! And if she gets stuck on a case, she can always post here for assistance :D

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good enough!! And if she gets stuck on a case, she can always post here for assistance :D
:lol::lol::lol: Honestly, I have learned more about goats here than at school! I have lost too many goats because of vets than I care to count! I did find out there is one vet who is a research/professor at UTCVM who own goats. I promise to attach myself to her. (Not a hard promise to make;))

@babsbag, we have only had one class so far and already I have wanted to reach out to you and talk. Well, we have had to do a lot of online research for that one class... I would love to discuss with you your operation and the differences and similarities from what I learn. Also, anything I see helpful I will happily share!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I feel like the State of CA does not really want me to build this dairy, it is very frustrating. No information is freely given and emails take 1-3 days to get answers. I must take a test for a pasteurizer license and while I was working on getting information on that they drop this line ...
Your goat milk will need to be screened for inhibitor prior to processing. You can also use an approved lab to screen your milk. You will need the limited sampler/weigher license for sampling.:idunno Say What!!!! So come to find out today that every batch of milk must be tested for beta-lactam (antibiotics) and for me that means everyday. I can't be sending samples to a lab and wait for results everyday before I can bottle, I have no where to store milk; so I need to be my own lab. I talked to the company that makes the test...5000.00 for the equipment. :ep It would have been nice to know that a few years ago; my budget is pretty shot to cover an expense like that right now, but I have to do it.

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry Babs... Welcome to big brother land.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is actually a federal regulation but I think that some states must ignore it. The law states that ALL raw milk, regardless of it final use or destination, will be tested before processing. I was told by the rep. of the company today that CA is actually pretty lax on the testing and that TEXAS is much much worse. You know, I think that we could all get together and buy an island and make a perfect country.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like that idea! Maybe a volcano will erupt and make a brand new island and we can claim it first! LOL

Latest posts