Choosing an LGD puppy

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Bruce That is a great name to keep in mind!!! I am really leaning toward the quieter of the two males. I have finally had the chance to see a lot of videos of all the pups. The quiet guy will play with his siblings for a bit then go off and amuse himself with a chew toy or just sit and watch or nap... The other boy seems to Always be playing, butting in etc... That is not really a bad thing. But Kimber has stepped up and is patrolling more with Wesson's issues. So I think I want one that will hang with the herd.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I love my marlin 795 .22 semi auto... Maybe Marlin?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like to see what they are and then name them.
Rita is Rita because Babs named her and really it kinda fits her. Lately though we think her name should be Stitch- from Lilo and Stitch. You know- it is that badness level thing!;)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually Bab's DH named her. He just looked at her and said she couldn't stay here for 5 days with no name and that her name was Rita. ;)

Last edited:

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually Babs DH named her. He just looked at her and said she couldn't stay here for 5 days with no name and that her name was Rita. ;)
Tell DH We love Rita!:love:love:love It is a good name for her- unique and 2 syllables! You know I have a syllables thing! :D

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Been reading with much interest! SBC, I'm a syllable gal too...I like a single syllable so I can get their name out quick. :D

My vote is for the one that plays by himself at times. I like that kind of personality in a pup, a calm demeanor. I've made mistakes in picking out pups in the past, as like most people I always thought the bold and adventurous ones were the most likely to succeed. They also can be the most hard to train, as I soon found out.

Thankfully, I learned more about it when I picked out Ben and was able to make a more informed choice in the super short amount of time I had to pick a pup. Here were 9 squirming puppies, all white and some with short hair, some with longer...they all seemed so alike it was hard to keep track of them and watch one at a time. One pup was a loner and when I moved towards him, he moved away and seemed fearful...he was off the list. The rest seemed so similar and I didn't have much time to watch them, so I just sat down on the ground to see what they would do.

They just besieged me! I was covered in pups in two seconds, all of them jumping and licking at the same time...except for one. He stood back, alert, tail wagging, just waiting and watching the melee...I reached through the crowd and pulled him to me. Stood up and positioned him on his back in my arms, where he laid calmly, just watching me, paws all relaxed. I carried him around like that as I talked to the owners and he just relaxed in my arms all the while. I put him in the back of the truck and walked away and he sat calmly and watched me walk away, didn't make a whimper at being separated from the pack or the humans. I liked his calm confidence through it all and I chose that one.

Turned out it was a GREAT choice and he still has that calm, confident way about him and I can tell he's watching and thinking about things before I even ask it of him. I think we are going to have some great stories to tell of Ben before his life is done.

I can't wait to see pics of the new pup, I think Kindle is a lovely dog and I can't wait to hear the name you choose. I like Uzi and Henry, but Sig would be a really cool name too. It also fits my one syllable nature. :D

dejavoodoo114

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Beekissed, If only I liked Sig's....

Strange how we name our dogs differently from our goats. I still haven't submitted my registration paperwork for last spring's kids because I want to name them based on their personality and I haven't decided yet. Of course, I do like my themes, so all the goats get Gaelic names.;)

I am glad you mentioned the personalities though SBC... The Barrett is powerful but steady, ideally a one shot kind rifle. The M61 Vulcan is a gatling gun... Need I say more? I can definitely see how just these two names can applied to different personalities. I will talk to DH about waiting until we meet him and picking the right name.

I am also going to put these other names, Marlin and Henry, on a list for the future! Thanks guys!