chubbydog811 - Mountain View Farm's journal :) *12/10 update!

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Seeing how school will be ending for me soon, and I will be having a lot of extra free time, I figured I would get started on a journal for our farm.
First for some of the questions:

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
New Hampshire. It's like Canada, but not so far north :lol:

2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
I have 2 older siblings. I live with my parents still...for now.
I have been dating an amazing guy since June 11', with good confidence that it will actually last :D

3. How would you define your farm?
Between my mum and I, we are running a full time farm. We live on 50 acres - 5 ish acres are currently farm land, with intentions of setting the goats to clearing the back 40 next summer.
We currently have 6 of our own horses, and 1 boarder. Goats are the second biggest part of the farm. I raise registered Saanens, and am working towards Boers as well. I lost count of the number of goats around 9 :hu We also have a good handful of chickens and ducks.
My main goal with the farm is to have clients in for horse training - rider and horse, and aiming towards a "dairy/meat" farm with the goats (note - those are in quotes because I have no intentions of registering as a dairy, and having to deal with the rules/regulations/inspections!!)
Up next will be sheep in the spring!!

4. Have you ever built a house, barn , or other types of building?
We built all of the farm buildings ourselves. This includes a 60x36 barn, many chicken coops, and a small handful of goat sheds.

5. Who or what inspired you to be a farmer/rancher, hobby farmer?
I started off with horses, because my big sister rode, and I wanted to get into it. Next were the goats/chickens - those came because of my neighbor :) and it all went downhill from there!

6. Is it a hobby or an occupation?
Both! I intend for my hobbies to turn into my occupation - I already train horses and give riding lessons. I'm hoping the goat business will kick off a little more in the next few years so they are at least self supporting!

7. In what areas are you knowledgeable and in what areas would you like to learn more?
More natural ways to raise animals.

8. In what types of farming will you never choose to do?
PIGS!! I hate pigs....Other than that, I am pretty open to any kind of farming.

9. Are you interested in providing more of your own food supply?
Yes! This is the main reason I am getting into meat animals as well. We also have a small vegetable garden that provides for most of the year.

10. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?
I'm not much of a cooker (thank goodness my boyfriend prefers cooking!!). I am very interested in whole/natural foods. And am all for the raw milk/fresh eggs. There is just no comparison after having everything fresh!

11. Do you process your own meat? Can or preserve?
Yes, I do process my critters myself. I would much rather see them to the end, than have someone else do it. I strongly believe in giving them the best quality of life before they get processed.

12. Has the experience with animals changed your attitude or habits?
YES!!! Though people think I'm weird when I start clicking at them to go faster, or tell the to ho when they are going to fast :hu :gig

I will have to do some catching up for everyone later today, but right now - off the the barn! I have a work study student that comes out 2-3 days a week to help around the farm :) I'll post some photos as well when I get back.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Enjoyed reading. Look forward to hearing more and always seeing Pics! :)

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
Be careful when you say anything about pictures with this group. So you in College?

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:) I know!! PICTURES!! Need to ride one more horse today, then I'll get to the pictures...Tonight!

And yes, I am currently in college, though this is my last semester, and then I will be "switching majors" again. Started off in Vet Tech, switched to Accounting, and then Business Management. Finally said screw it, I'm going to train to be a farrier :rolleyes: That was my original plan in the first place, but I'm sure everyone knows how that is.

Took me long enough to figure out...but I figure hey, I'm only 22, I've got plenty of time right? :th

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Alright, here are a few links to some photos...They are public albums on facebook, so everyone should be able to see them.

First up are the goats. These are just the "inside" girls - the 4 does that are living in the main horse barn right now.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2287139701151.137121.1328670052&type=3

Next up are the horses...These aren't all of them - still working on getting some more!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1005991673251.919.1328670052&type=1

I'll have to get some updated photos of around the farm - we've finished a lot on the barn since I took photos last.

Oh, so some more little facts about me - besides the farming, I'm also big into music, as well as photography. All the photos were taken by me. I'm aiming towards a professional photographer (note - quality on some of them aren't that great - these were with my old camera that I was getting VERY frustrated with. I stopped trying in mid June :) )

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Tried to see your animals on your facebook page, but could not. Message said unavailable.

What type of music are you in to? :)

MrsDieselEngineer

The Goat Lady
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of journalling ;) Don't forget to post pictures of your beautiful little boer girls :love Although I think I'm prejudiced when it comes to the boers :hu :clap

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Wow...This week has been busy! I'm going to take some more photos this afternoon, and work on starting a photo story type journal.
I'll just put them on photobucket and directly put them in here...Much easier than facebook links (I swear - facebook hates me! It NEVER works very well :tongue )

@Melissa - I will definitely get some up of the Boer girls! I took the collar off of little loud mouth (aka Pumpkin) yesterday. Seems it helped TONS! :weee No more "I'm dying" screams!! WOOT! I don't feel the strong need to strangle her anymore :)