CL In Goats

Neelie Nix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello
I have a boer/kiko buck that has Cl is what I am guessing it to be. We are still new to goats and this particular buck has breed my nannies. What are the chances that the babies will come out being positive with CL too? I am not sure how to treat him for this. The research that i have done says that this is something serious and needs to be culled out immediately. I am trying to start a goat farm and have been running into things since i started. I just do not want to go into this with a bad batch of goats. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You really need to have the animal tested to be sure before you can make any realistic plans. You can draw blood from each and have everything tested all at once; CL, CAE, Johnes and the predominant ones.

Neelie Nix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Your kids will not have CL unless they have been exposed to the pus from a CL abscess. What makes you think that your buck has CL? I have had some nasty abscesses on my goats that were not CL.

He had an abscess under his jaw line this summer. We immediately separated him from the rest of the goats. I took him to the vet the vet barely glanced at it said it was CL that I needed to cull him out immediately before it spread to the rest of my goats. The abscess finally burst and then I treated it with iodine solution and penicillin. He has acting healthy since then and about last week I noticed he had another spot around his shoulder area that was an abscess. It finally burst and it looks like the stuff that comes out of a bad pimple is the only way I know how to describe it. He each time he has been immediately separated from the herd so that the puss does not get into my soil or in the barn so that nonone else gets it.But we are going to get him and everyone tested. i am just concerned that it will affect my does that he has breed. At the time of breeding he did not have any knots or open wounds.

Neelie Nix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
You really need to have the animal tested to be sure before you can make any realistic plans. You can draw blood from each and have everything tested all at once; CL, CAE, Johnes and the predominant ones.

We are in the process of getting him and everything else tested. Then see if we can get shots for everything. We are new to the goat business and have had some bad luck trying to get started seems one thing after another. If he does have it what should be my next step with him. I have read where some ppl still use the positive goat and just maintain the CL and treat it and the goat lives a normal life others have said to cull and cut your losses. I am unsure of the severity of this situation.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd go ahead and blood test the entire herd. Use a GOOD lab. We use UC davis in CA. The CL test is $14.50 per goat.
Other labs are not accredited and seem to have a lot of false + and - and can be complete nightmares.

Once you get the tests go from there. Is the entire herd positive? Or just the buck? This will help you make some decisions.

Sadly CL is common in meat goats. Some just look at it as part of owning meat goats. We don't feel this way and when we had meat goats, they were all tested and we maintained a disease free herd.

Look at the titres of each test. If your goat has very high titres but no external lumps, it is likely for that animal to have internal CL.

It is a shame the vet didn't pull any of the puss and send it for testing :( Having the puss tested is the most accurate CL test.

Where on the shoulder was the abscess?
This is a good pic of common CL locations.

IF the buck has CL, and has had two external abscesses in less then a year, I would look at culling him.
Some goats can have CL and go most of their life without lumps, honestly the buck would be too large of a risk- even if you were to keep a positive herd. I would be worried about internal CL at that point also. It will be interesting to see what the titres come back as.

f6e7c86d6abc2bccae0891936d1938be-livestock-goats-jpg.41674

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
From a UC Davis newsletter:
(Corynebacterium pseudotuberculosis is a bacterial organism that causes the disease commonly referred to as Caseous Lymphadenitis or CL.)

So it IS possible for kids to have CL. These 1 week old kids had it. Makes me wonder how. How a kids so young could develop this?

I'm NOT saying this to scare you. Just thought it would be good to post.
002-jpg.33632

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder if the dam had an abscess in or on the udder? That is still really young.

Neelie Nix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd go ahead and blood test the entire herd. Use a GOOD lab. We use UC davis in CA. The CL test is $14.50 per goat.
Other labs are not accredited and seem to have a lot of false + and - and can be complete nightmares.

Once you get the tests go from there. Is the entire herd positive? Or just the buck? This will help you make some decisions.

Sadly CL is common in meat goats. Some just look at it as part of owning meat goats. We don't feel this way and when we had meat goats, they were all tested and we maintained a disease free herd.

Look at the titres of each test. If your goat has very high titres but no external lumps, it is likely for that animal to have internal CL.

It is a shame the vet didn't pull any of the puss and send it for testing :( Having the puss tested is the most accurate CL test.

Where on the shoulder was the abscess?
This is a good pic of common CL locations.

IF the buck has CL, and has had two external abscesses in less then a year, I would look at culling him.
Some goats can have CL and go most of their life without lumps, honestly the buck would be too large of a risk- even if you were to keep a positive herd. I would be worried about internal CL at that point also. It will be interesting to see what the titres come back as.

f6e7c86d6abc2bccae0891936d1938be-livestock-goats-jpg.41674

Thank you for the information it is greatly appreciated and helpful. The first abscess was around the jaw line area the second was seems to be on the actual shoulder area not so much under the armpit or above it. He does not seem to be in pain or that nothing is bothering him. The vet did nothing really other than a visual and said oh yea that is CL do you want me to put him down today?? This abscess has already popped before I could get him to the another vet for testing. We are about test everyone else which we only have 4 other goats so my herd is not so big but would rather get this done so i can start a clean herd. The ppl I bought the buck from did not know they sold me a possible CL pos goat. After I told them that he got it shortly they had a out break of it at their farm.

Neelie Nix

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I wonder if the dam had an abscess in or on the udder? That is still really young.

I have heard that if the doe has an abscess on her udder or around the area at the time of nursing the babies can get it that way. I am still doing research on this. From what i have been told and researched the disease can only be transferred through the puss and mucus if there is an open wound. I got told the other night that it is not inherited.