CL... It's no joke

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now I understand the importance of testing for CL and buying tested animals. CL is no joke. :(

I had a doe develop an abcess last year; it appeared that Latte ate something prickly which had to work it's way out. It could have been, and I'm still not sure.

This year she got two more abcesses, at the same time, right next to each other. The other two girls in that pen with her also developed abcesses. Right now my doe, Latte, doesn't have abcesses that I've found, but her sister had a huge one under her chin/on her jaw. I had that one tested... It came back positive for CL. :(

I'm sharing this to hopefully prevent someone from going through the same painful experience I am. I didn't think testing was something I needed to do, I guess I didn't think it would really happen. I was wrong. I have no idea where the CL came from, but now I need to eliminate it. It could have come from anywhere... Only the ones in that particular pen got it.

My first plan of action is to test those three girls. I know the one tested positive already, but I want to do the blood test and get the (titer?) number for each of them.

Then, the CL+ ones will have to go. I pray Latte comes back negative, but I can't put the rest of the herd at risk by keeping positive goats.

The boys and my two new girls have not shown any signs of CL, but I will want to test them at some point too.

Right now I have the one with the abcess separate. The other two pen buddy's are in a different pen by themselves. I wash my hands after touching them or their water dish, and feed them last.

I had started the new goat house with my brother (pics in my journal) and used some of the plywood from the pen where the doe with CL is, not knowing she had it. This morning I sprayed those boards with bleach water. If Latte and Carmella come back negative, I think I will put them there in the new house for the winter. Thinking I will leave Josie and Eliza where they are, to prevent risking them getting it.

@Southern by choice has been a big help already, I talked to her about this a couple days ago. @rosti has been there for me since the beginning too. Thank you both.

CL is real guys... :(

Yes, sometimes I feel like giving up goats. But deep down, I don't want to. I'm going to do my best to eliminate CL from my herd, and look forward to having a clean healthy herd. :)

Last edited:

BlessedWithGoats

Herd Master
Reaction score
One thing I'm wondering... What do you do with the CL+ goats? How do you dispose of them? I know you don't eat them, but I'm thinking you wouldn't want to bury them? Or does that not matter?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One thing I'm wondering... What do you do with the CL+ goats? How do you dispose of them? I know you don't eat them, but I'm thinking you wouldn't want to bury them? Or does that not matter?
From what I've read, you can still eat them, but obviously not the part with abscesses. Tennessee Meat Goats has some good articles.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could eat them and not worry about it. According to a vet on a FB group they are starting to treat CL with Draxxin. I haven't done any research on that at all, just thought I would throw it out there.

Sorry you are dealing with this, I just did blood tests on three does for CL and fortunately all was ok. Not sure what I would have done...

The lab I used didn't do titers. They ran a ELISA test and the results came back with optical density readings...first time of I have seen that.

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So sorry you're having to deal with this. Hope you can get it eradicated. I believe it's going to take years... :(:hugs

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
If I had CL on my land and some goats that were still negative I would vaccinate my herd. It may give positive results with a blood test but it will allow you to sleep easier and help eradicate the disease.