CL... what exactly is it?

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
So if people can get this disease from goats, what does it do to people?

This is a case study of 10 people

https://oup.silverchair-cdn.com/oup...90K5rodJ4Q__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIUCZBIA4LVPAVW3Q

http://waddl.vetmed.wsu.edu/animal-disease-faq/caseous-lymphadenitis

This site should be saved for all sheep and goat people as it covers the main zoonotic ilnesses related to sheep/goats- I've posted this many times.
http://iiad.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Meat-Goat-and-Sheep-Part-2-English.pdf

Yeah, google CL in humans - images- check out the pictures. :sick:sick:sick

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
CL happens in cattle and equines as well, and it's considered extremely contagious in the cattle sector.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I knew that horses get it, I believe it is called Pigeon Fever and it is a slightly different strain. I didn't know that cattle could get it.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
no matter what, I certainly wouldn't drink any un-pasturized milk from any animal that has it, and I would be very very careful handling any animal that has it.
Zoonotic diseases are not to be trifled with lightly.

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
CL happens in cattle and equines as well, and it's considered extremely contagious in the cattle sector.

Is it just less common in cattle? I don't see cattle people stressing about CL as much as goat people...?

Also, how long does it last in the soil? If this goat is positive, I'm assuming we probably will have to get rid of them all because they have all been exposed :hit And if so, will it ever be possible to get goats back on this land again? What about another livestock?

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I didn't know that you were dealing with this firsthand, sorry to hear that. You can also tell by the location as they are usually on a lymph node. I have had a few tested that looked very suspicious but have always been negative. Hope that that is the results that you get.

That's the thing... Her lumps are behind her shoulder, not in front. The vet said the ones he has seen have been in front, like, on the chest sort of (which is where I've seen pics of the location of their lymph nodes)... But hers are behind... So I'm not sure... But when he was trying to aspirate it, it was super thick and he wasn't getting much out so he said that was highly suspicious... :(

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's the thing... Her lumps are behind her shoulder, not in front. The vet said the ones he has seen have been in front, like, on the chest sort of (which is where I've seen pics of the location of their lymph nodes)... But hers are behind... So I'm not sure... But when he was trying to aspirate it, it was super thick and he wasn't getting much out so he said that was highly suspicious... :(
Did you by any chance give a vaccine or any other injection in that area?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have had 2 abscesses in our herd that looked suspicious- one ping-pong ball sized one under the ear of a goat (we think it is from a puncture wound from the welded wire fence he tore up :/) and another in the location of a vaccine. Both were drained and the contents sent off for testing which ended up not being CL. I hope the same is for you. :hugs

newbiekat

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Did you by any chance give a vaccine or any other injection in that area?

Yes, that's where we give our CDT shot, which I know does sometimes cause lumps. That's what we thought it was for a long time (2 years now), but now one of the smaller bumps is starting to lose it's hair, which is (from what I've read) one of the signs that the abscess is getting ready to burst, if it is in fact CL. That was the reason we decided now was the time to get it checked out (in case it were actually getting ready to burst). But like I said, In the past when we've seen those bumps, we have always associated it with the shots that we gave in that area. They were not the location of lymph nodes, which is why we never thought it to be CL.

Latest posts