1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Meet Pearl, New Horse - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Clean Clear water

Discussion in 'Everything Else Goats' started by AlleysChicks, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Oct 20, 2018
    AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Loving the herd life

Hey y’all :frow What do you guys use to keep your goats water clean? Winter is starting to creep in with freezing temps here so I recently switched my small water bucket for a large tub. I’m hoping that with a large tub and a de-icer to make less trips out and cut down my chore time in winter. But I’m worried about green dirty water, so any tips that don’t involve dumping the tub every couple days is welcome.

2. Oct 20, 2018
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

The green is algae and typically doesn't grow well in really cold water. It doesn't like darkness either, so shorter days also slows it down. You'll still get dirt and debris in there as goats seem to take great pleasure in making more work for their keepers. Mine like to scratch their butts on the trough and poop in it while they're at it. :rant:he:sick As long as most of the stuff is sinking to the bottom, no biggie... they sip from the surface. If it gets too nasty, you'll just have to dump it, clean the tub with warm soapy water with some bleach and then re-fill it. If you can elevate the tub off the ground, it will keep it cleaner, but it will freeze faster...

If I'm not of a mood to clean my goat's trough (an old claw foot tub), and the only issue is algae, I pour bleach into the trough while re-filling it. The bleach kills the algae and evaporates in a short period of time so no harm done to the goats.

3. Oct 20, 2018
    goatboy1973

goatboy1973 True BYH Addict

A good alternative to bleach is distilled vinegar (the clear or white vinegar). I use it to clean our watering troughs with and then once the trough is clean, I empty a 1 gallon jug of the stuff in our 50 gallon trough and then fill with water. The vinegar keeps the algae from growing and the goats will actually consume more water which is a good thing for them. Plus, there's an old wive's tale that says if their drinking water has vinegar in it, you'll get more female offspring. I don't put too much stock on the wive's tale, but the vinegar sure is a more natural way to keep clean, clear water in your watering troughs.

Skiesblue likes this.