Cleaning a rabbit and found these: WARNING: Graphic Photos

Lora

Just born
Reaction score
So I butchered my first rabbit Saturday. We presumed she had pasturella. After bringing her home from the breeder she started sneezing and snotty. We gave it 10 days and it was getting worse, so she went off to freezer camp.
When I opened her up I found these little bubbles attached to the outside of her stomach by a thin lining. I have never seen anything like it. Her organs all looked very healthy. Her meat smelled/looked good. Nothing else out of the ordinary that I could tell. Does anyone know what these are? rabbit1.jpg rabbit2.jpg rabbit3.jpg
rabbit1.jpg
rabbit2.jpg
rabbit3.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never seen anything like that - but I've only butchered ONE Rabbit in my life. It was a female rabbit so I wonder if it had anything to do with reproduction... What was inside the bubbles - did you open them up?

Thanks for posting that!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never seen anything like that. It almost looks like fish roe.

Lora

Just born
Reaction score
We didnt open them up. Probably should have. They were firm though so probably a clear liquid. I thought fish roe too! We laughed about it and said maybe she'd been with a fish before we got her!

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I may be waaaaay off base here - but I'm wondering if she could have had cystic ovaries and those are a bunch of fluid filled cysts??? But that would be a whole LOT of cysts!

Dang it- I want to know what they are! :he

P.O. in MO

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I spent about 30 minutes searching the internet and couldn't find anything that looked like those pictures. No idea what they might be.???????

PoultryQueen101

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ive only ever had two rabbits, a lop and a netherland dwarf, male and female.... never butchered and they were kept seperate so they didnt breed.

I was like... pregnant rabbit? At first, but then im like.... that looks like 'way' too many babies...

GD91

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yeah, way too many... I'd guess they are some kind of cysts. Did you eat her?
I've got to admit they would put me off, she would go to the dogs, literally.

Latest posts