cleaning up after sick calf.

john in wa

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I just lost one of my nurse cows calves he was 100% yesterday and when i went out to check on them last night he was down and could not stand up. i brought him in and locked him up in 16'x16' pen. anyway i want to reuse the pen for another calf. what is the best way to kill any infection or diseases this calf may of had. i have no idea what happend to him. he was fine yesterday running and bucking ect. today 24 hours later dead as a door nail.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Bleach. Clean the floor of the pen out good with a rake/shovel, whatever works best for you, then put bleach in a spray bottle and spray it down really good, as well as the walls or fencing, and feed/water containers. Also, a couple of days of good hot sun will help kill any germs as well, sunshine and heat is a great antibacterial.

john in wa

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It has no walls but i will spray down the area with bleach i moved the panels to new area but dont want other calves getting sick from what he left behind in the ground. thanks

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It's a bit more expensive, but you could buy the horse stall cleaner (I forge the name, but it's all over TSC) and it is good to use on the ground.

Sorry to hear you lost your boy!