Clicker Training my Llama

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, please don't laugh at me. I have started clicker training Sid. :th

I decided to do this when it became obvious he's comfortable enough with me to be a snot occasionally but needs to be reminded who really is in charge. :hu

So, I started getting him acclimated to the clicker. I discovered that he simply adores his pellets, so I click and treat him when he comes to me. I feed him the pellets right from my hand to make sure he understands where his treats are coming from.

So far, I've gotten him to recognize his name and also come when I call. He's not perfect. I also am teaching him to accept the halter without a struggle.

My goals for clicker training:

1. A "perfect" recall. :gig Yeah, right.
2. Halter him without drama.
3. Handle his feet and trim them.
4. Stand nicely for brushing.
5. Have him accept a pack without issues. (I suspect this will be a no-brainer -- he was a pack llama).

Do-able? Insane? :idunno

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'm certainly not going to laugh. That's how I intend to deal with getting my three ewes to get on the milk stand next spring, supposing they get successfully bred :p

I know I have read a dog-training (clicker) book in the past few months whose author uses it on their llamas, too, as there was some comment to the effect of 'for those who think it's impossible to use positive methods to overcome strong motivation, my stud llamas lead perfectly quietly to the breeding pen with this training". In fact I think she said something to the effect of using the 'right' to breed the, um, whatever a female llama is called :p as a reward instead of food :p It sounded like she did all her llama training with the clicker, so, I expect it can be done.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Won't laugh here either, clicker training is fantastic! I haven't tried it with the goats but it works wonders with the thinking dog.

I'd love to hear more as your experience progresses! :thumbsup

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Many people use clicker training for llamas and alpacas. There is also CameliDyamics by Marty McGee Bennett. That is also a very successful training method for llamas and alpacas.

luvmycritters42

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I found this website and decided I also needed to clicker train my llamas

http://www.llama-training.co.uk/

My two are very skittish still and the first time I used the clicker they ran away and wouldn't come back..:/...even with their favorite treat. oh-well. Going to take some time and patience with my two.

You've already made so much progress with Sid, I'm sure clicker training will come pretty easy. Have fun!

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
luvmycritters42 said:
I found this website and decided I also needed to clicker train my llamas

http://www.llama-training.co.uk/

My two are very skittish still and the first time I used the clicker they ran away and wouldn't come back..:/...even with their favorite treat. oh-well. Going to take some time and patience with my two.

You've already made so much progress with Sid, I'm sure clicker training will come pretty easy. Have fun!
Muffle the clicker in your hands. Sid gets a little wonky on the sharp sound, so I muffle it. :lol:

Shiloh Acres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I never tried a clicker, but with my little boy I taught him quickly to recognize his name and come when called. I think the quick success was because I went out at least a few times a day and called him over. The frequency seemed to be it.

I'd have him come to me in one spot, I might give him some pellets, then I'd move and call him to the new spot. He was very anxious to follow and ALWAYS came when I called ... Unless I had just sprayed down the female and still had the hose in my hand. He didn't like being sprayed. But he was quickly letting me handle his back, legs.

Like I said, frequency made a big impact on him, once he got used to being close to me and stopped being skittish.

Man, I really, REALLY miss him.

Good luck with yours. Clicker trainng a llama sounds cool. Last time I used a clicker was on a parrot. I should use it for my cats. :)

Tashi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Would clicker training work as well on intact alpacas? We've got three and whereas they're happy to be stroked as long as they've got their heads in a food bucket, they're pretty skittish the rest of the time. Any advice?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Alpacas are generally inquisitive but standoffish. Most alpacas don't like to be "pet." You could certainly try clicker training to make them let you pet them. Clicker training or CameliDynamics works on any llama or alpaca, intact or not. But it still takes work and lots of time training. It would be helpful to train them on the lead and haltering them.

Tashi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Cheers Karen :) They're coming on pretty well!!!!!