Climbing climbing

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Love the moments when you know what they are thinking!! I can picture it. I’d have trouble not laughing hysterically! Lol

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well he’s laughing at me today. He shimmied up a stack of square bales and spent the night out but not over the perimeter. I’ve had no further losses but coyotes are seen in the neighborhood day and night. 4A9FF74C-91A6-40F7-9087-1CC0C2217E65.jpeg

Sonja

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have a lot of coyotes in our area. We had a single Great Pyrenees who just couldn't keep up with the wiley beast. A coyote would stalk the barnyard so she'd give chase, then another would sneak into the yard an enjoy a chicken buffet.
We got her two helpers (GPx Anatolian) and she trained them to their duties. It took me a few months to realize how organized their defense is at night. Lead dog patrols property & chases away threats. One dog guards the barnyard & hens, the other is stationed at the goat & geese pen. This is something the dogs worked out on their own and we haven't had any close coyote activity in months. I've found possum, armadillo, and skunk carcasses☠ that the dogs seem proud to display in my front yard. Now if they could just figure out a way to get rid of the hawks & owls we'd be all good.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The three backups just chased off a coyote (30 min before sunset). Himself wasn’t able to participate. Thank God for LGDs and thank God for the rescue that started the training.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
^my dogs watch for hawks but I don’t know how to start a dog they just noticed. Owls no. I had a lot of trouble w the dogs and young chickens but they outgrew it. When I first got LGDs I underestimated how smart and sensitive they are. What an education I’ve had. Wouldn’t have missed it for the world.

Latest posts