Climbing climbing

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
He has declined two more opportunities to get out of an untreated fence. Coyotes waiting in the brush the last two mornings but no lamb chops for them. Guineas also in on the act. Nothing says ha ha like a guinea....:D

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
He had a squabble with the Old Lady Pyr but they dropped it when the coyotes started the howl and prowl (sunset tonight). She overnights as a trainer then shamelessly snoozes under the dining room table after breakfast. Our new dog looks very promising. A rescue with goat experience. Sheep will be different for him but he has dogs to train him. I have no idea about introducing him to the hot fence having not had one til a couple of weeks ago. Advice?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Harsh but he has to learn on his own... Just like your already dogs had to. IMHO, Introduce him to his new digs and workmates and let things take their course. Really glad that the hot wire has seemingly corrected the most serious issues you had, at a reasonable cost.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well the adventure continues. Climbin’ Simon has abandoned the over technique in favor of going thru the fence. First the backstory. My neighbor shot and wounded a coyote this morning just the other side of our fence. I’m guessing the blood odor was too tempting and away CS went. But thankfully not far. After a nose sniff with the neighbor’s small dog (probably what the coyote was after) he was more than ready to be home. I had to hike back to the house after securing him with a leash to get bigger wire cutters because nothing short of snipping would get him back thru the hole. :mad: I maneuver him thru the enlarged hole with an elderly ewe scolding. Did I mention it was about 90 degrees ditto humidity and a thunderstorm was perking? I’m sweating like a dam and rethinking dog ownership when he’s back across. He goes to our pond for a dip, dragging the leash. Belly deep and blissfully cooler he glances around and spots the floating leash. Perhaps he saw that part of Lonesome Dove with the water moccasins. To say he catapulted out of the water would not be an exaggeration. Clearly that trailing leash was dangerous and he barreled back toward his stall only to hit the hot wire. It was off but based on his reaction you wouldn’t have guessed. He is presently under the truck getting sympathy from the younger dogs and a loud “huff” from the ol Lady Pyr.

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
"I have a two year old Anatolian x Black Mouthed Cur (yes that’s a breed). A rescue with zero history."
Black Mouth Curs are a herding and hunting breed very similar to Catahoula Leopard Dogs (which I once raised.) They have high
prey drive, and are not LGDs.

:pop