Climbing climbing

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Stupid question I suppose, but why did you have to damage the fence instead of just walking the dog home AROUND the fence??
He was fenced in. Gate padlocked and he wasn’t climbing over. The place he got thru was more patch than fencecutting a couple of wires no big deal. Put a makeshift gate in place.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
"I have a two year old Anatolian x Black Mouthed Cur (yes that’s a breed). A rescue with zero history."
Black Mouth Curs are a herding and hunting breed very similar to Catahoula Leopard Dogs (which I once raised.) They have high
prey drive, and are not LGDs.

:pop
I understand but it’s working. I wouldn’t recommend BMC for LGD work.

BrendaMNgri

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is not what I would consider "working": "Dog is after them like a jet but won’t stop at the perimeter fence. Climbs right over."
What I am trying to say to you is, you have a dog that is half BMC.
You yourself just said, "I wouldn’t recommend BMC for LGD work."
Nor would I. Nor would I have a half BMC for guardian work.
I would not have any non-LGD cross for guardian work. Too risky.
This dog is an example why.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You do understand it was coyotes he was after. And he came back. If I am not mistaken there are other posts about full blooded LGDs breaching fences after predators. They all roam with incentive and I believe predator pressure ranks pretty high. I use rescued dogs often hybrids. I’ve caught a lot of flack for that. I don’t care. It’s sad that there are so many situations that put LGDs into rescue and so little spay neuter. I have the patience to work them in. It’s not for everybody.

Skiesblue

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I like Brenda’s YouTube vids I’ve learned a lot from them. I’m just in a different place. I’d eat popcorn but the kernels.