Close... But are we going to have piglets soon?

westtexasmicropigs

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hello, all first time breeder! I have a Guilt at 112 days... She looks like below! No, nest or milk yet... What is your best guess on how close we are? Her vulva is loose and soft! Milk rail is in and teats are straight.

CB839449-1EC2-4073-8591-C1EEB3F90B59_1_105_c.jpeg
4E2D914F-0B5F-4E63-98CC-7DD014B66AC8_1_105_c.jpeg

westtexasmicropigs

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
When she feels the urge???? Seriously, 114 is average gestation length... 3 months 3 weeks and 3 days... plus or minus 2-5 days.
Some make nests , some days before, some just before. when she starts laying down and grunting, pigs are imminent.
Okay, thank you!!!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may be surprised also that a hog can eat a meal like normal and 2 hours later be in labor having piglets. There is no rhyme or reason to them. One thing, just watch their attitude and disposition... Occasionally they will get snappish... and you do not want to get bitten by a hog. Not often, and I am not saying anything bad... but just to be careful. I had one sow that you just left her ALONE when she was getting ready to farrow. Once done, and within a day I could be in there and she was fine... most all mine paid NO ATTENTION to me.... but.....
You need to monitor her to make sure she has that first pig... just because you don't want her straining and it be stuck.... first time farrowing it takes a little longer... and hopefully her pigs are all small and she can just pop them out.
Please keep up on her progress... but if she goes to the end of the week don't panic..... I am assuming you have a breeding date, and that was the only time she was bred.
She looks close in the picture...and then she will hold you in suspense...:barnie:he:pop:th

Latest posts