Close to Lambing????

KWhitted

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Kit is ready!!! This is our first experience with sheep. We are all so excited!!!! My husband is out of town so good idea on the video!!!!

KWhitted

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So of course the temp here in central Texas dropped this afternoon and we are now expecting snow around 9pm! The girls are warm in their pen but it’s just so cold to me. Hoping those babies stay in just one more day and I don’t wake up to frozen babies! Plus I really would like to witness the birth.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
My husband is out of town so good idea on the video!!!!
Like as not,you'll be too overwhelmed even to pick up your phone, let alone take a video. I find myself fretting, pacing, giving instructions to 'Push' and encouragement that "You're nearly there" etc etc. and I've seen many hundreds of births by now.
So of course the temp here in central Texas dropped this afternoon and we are now expecting snow around 9pm!
I'm assuming that the pen is not totally open to the elements and that there is shelter. Lambs cope very well with cold, but don't do well if there is cold and wet together.
Watch a few YouTube videos of lamb birth to get the idea as to what to expect. Usually ewe separates off from others, starts to paw the ground which gets increasingly 'urgent', then she starts to push (usual lies on her side with legs extended to do this). A bag of fluid appears which extend downward as she pushes and usually breaks. After a variable amount of time you will see hooves at the vulva (usually front) and then a nose. The head is often born on one push and then the body not long after. The cord breaks itself. Mum turns round and licks the lamb vigorously.
Wipe away membranes from the lamb if they are plugging the mouth/nose. Pull out and clear the mouth/nose of any lamb which appears back legs first.

Good Luck.

KWhitted

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Cold weather does it I guess! Temps dropped to 27 here last night. I woke up to these beauties! Black faced boy and tan eared girl. Momma just left the boy and keeps knocking him around. I’ve haltered her and I’m making her feed him.

Attachments

• 0CF606C1-018D-4BBE-8763-3DE38485595C.jpeg
    0CF606C1-018D-4BBE-8763-3DE38485595C.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 96DC5789-9F02-4018-9092-E98F166006D4.jpeg
    96DC5789-9F02-4018-9092-E98F166006D4.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 110

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Beautiful!!! Congratulations on your good, healthy and beautiful lambs! I think you are doing the right thing to make her feed him....it's better for him and she has plenty of milk! Plus, the fuss and expense of feeding a bottle lamb. No fun, especially in cold weather.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
What beautiful lambs. Congratulations.
It's likely that there was a bit of time between the births and he wandered off, so she isn't seeing him as her own. Once her milk is coming through him, she's likely to be happy with him.
Make sure mum has plenty of food and water and can rest properly overnight.