close up nanny acting real bossy and strange

wecbob

Just born
Reaction score
We are new to the goat world as we purchased 14 bred mammas two months ago. Four now have had babies with no problems. One of the others last night started bawling VERY loudly and then exhibited real bossy and aggressive action towards the others. I don't think she is real close but it has been difficult to observe typical signs in the others when they had babies

Has anyone observed this tupe of behavior? She was observed going crazy about 9 last night and mostly settled down but a 3 when I checked her she was mostly calm but still showing some aggressiveness and some verbal. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to Backyard Herds! Congrats on your goats, you sure jumped in with both feet, eh?

I have sheep, but mine sometimes act differently when they get close to lambing, doing things like headbutting and making sounds to the other sheep. I imagine goats may be the same. There's plenty of goat folks here @Goat Whisperer @Southern by choice @OneFineAcre @babsbag and more...

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. We have a pretty good group of goat folks. I'll tag a few and maybe they can shed some light on your issue. Grats on becoming a goat hoarder... I mean HERDer ;) They are addictive and all that. If you'd be willing to share some pics, we'd all be appreciative. :clapGood luck, make yourself at home, and jump in when yopu feel the call! Oh... you should put at least your general location in your profile as folks will need to know that in most cases before they can offer assistance... Most things are climate/weather dependent.

@Goat Whisperer @babsbag @frustratedearthmother @Fullhousefarm @OneFineAcre @ragdollcatlady and there are many, many others!

wecbob

Just born
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. We have a pretty good group of goat folks. I'll tag a few and maybe they can shed some light on your issue. Grats on becoming a goat hoarder... I mean HERDer ;) They are addictive and all that. If you'd be willing to share some pics, we'd all be appreciative. :clapGood luck, make yourself at home, and jump in when yopu feel the call! Oh... you should put at least your general location in your profile as folks will need to know that in most cases before they can offer assistance... Most things are climate/weather dependent.

@Goat Whisperer @babsbag @frustratedearthmother @Fullhousefarm @OneFineAcre @ragdollcatlady and there are many, many others!

Thanks--we live in NW Iowa

wecbob

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks-------we live in NW Iowa

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Goats can be so hard to read sometimes. I locked up one last night that I was SURE was in labor...no kids yet today. Some will call out to me, some don't and some get aggressive if the other goats won't leave them alone. They like privacy when they are kidding but if it is raining and they have to share the barn they will sometimes try and keep the other goats away.

I am sorry I can't be more definitive in my answer. They are all different and do it all their own way.

wecbob

Just born
Reaction score
There is not a cuter animal in the world than those little babies...........

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
When they get hormonal late in pregnancy they can exhibit change in behavior

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
My husband will tell you, I was not very friendly in my 3rd trimester! Lol seriously though, seems normal.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with the others.
We have some that become absolute snots prior to kidding. One doe had to be an "only child" for her last month of pregnancy after she slammed another doe and broke her leg :(