Clover's Lambing Thread!

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here we go again! Both girls are bred by... Guess who? "Baby" Ras is going to be a dad. We were going to castrate him early on but we didnt have the right tool to expand the band. To make a long story short he bred Rosie and Clover. Ugh everytime I think about the breeding its weird. I have talked to multiple people, and everyone has assured me the breeding will be fine as long as it doesn't become a habit.

Girls are most likely due in february, already have plans to alter the lambing jug, to make it two instead of one. Also, gonna get ras a buddy, I have my eye on a Romney wether. We shall see. Rosie was drying up, but here udder seems to be getting bigger(golf ball size). Clover is a FF(can I say that with sheep?) and no udder development yet.

First pic is clovey sec pic is rosie.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 121

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I think the term FF is used with sheep and goats... Grats on having the next generation in the oven. I don't think line breeding is any issue, but like was said, you don't want to do it over too many generations. I'm following and waiting on updates and future pics :D =D

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you going to likely to improve your lambs by this cross? Not likely, but you also aren't likely to hurt the lambs either. Lots of breeders do close line breedings all the time.

I accidentally bred half siblings a couple years ago. They bred through a fence. I really liked the baby so this year I bred the same ram to another closely related ewe (I had sold the half sister). She's not quite as closely related, their moms are half sisters, but they have different sires.

I would highly recommend castrating Ras ASAP and, if you are planning to breed your ewes next year, find the best ram you can afford and of a type that will improve your flock in the direction you want to go. For example, if your goal is wool, find a ram with a fleece that will improve your ewes fleeces (conformation is also very important). If you want meat animals, pick a good meat sire, etc. If you just want cute, choose a ram with no structural defects and a good temperament.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Are you going to likely to improve your lambs by this cross? Not likely, but you also aren't likely to hurt the lambs either. Lots of breeders do close line breedings all the time.

I accidentally bred half siblings a couple years ago. They bred through a fence. I really liked the baby so this year I bred the same ram to another closely related ewe (I had sold the half sister). She's not quite as closely related, their moms are half sisters, but they have different sires.

I would highly recommend castrating Ras ASAP and, if you are planning to breed your ewes next year, find the best ram you can afford and of a type that will improve your flock in the direction you want to go. For example, if your goal is wool, find a ram with a fleece that will improve your ewes fleeces (conformation is also very important). If you want meat animals, pick a good meat sire, etc. If you just want cute, choose a ram with no structural defects and a good temperament.
Im going for wool, so Im thinking a Romney or possibly Gotland or Shetland. Really depends on what is in my area. Ive been saving to get Ras castrated, its a pricey surgery but as you said needs to be done ASAP. He actually has a longer fleece with a nice crimp which surprised me considering the cross he is. As always thank you for the advice :)

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope everything goes well!

If you're going to get Ras wethered, you wouldn't need to get a wether companion for him - he could be the companion to whatever ram you get. And until you get a ram, he could stay with the rest of the sheep. You won't need a ram until much closer to next year's breeding season.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hope everything goes well!

If you're going to get Ras wethered, you wouldn't need to get a wether companion for him - he could be the companion to whatever ram you get. And until you get a ram, he could stay with the rest of the sheep. You won't need a ram until much closer to next year's breeding season.
Yea, that's true. I just keep thinking back to when Rosie had him and poor clover was so lonely by herself. I mean she could see them, but you could tell she definitly felt left out. Im such a softie for them lol. With my new plan with the lambing jugs, he would have to be in the next stall over. Though now that I think about it he gets along with the alpacas pretty well.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is the day I brought them home :love
image.jpeg

Its always weird to see how far they have come

image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TAH