CLSranch a journal to compensate my lack of memory.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't have a way to give him mineral oil or a way to administer.
I meant I don't have oil or a way to administer it. Now I remember we do have castor oil. That used to be a cure all. Then again so was enema's, and cocaine.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If he is swallowing at all, then use a syringe with mineral oil.... you can use cooking oil if that's all you have. As big a syringe as you have... give 10-20 cc or more at a time... space it out a little (hourly) something to "lubricate" the gut tract...giving it a little time to work inbetween...but it HAS to go down into the stomachs....
I have never given an enema to a bovine... if the blockage (constipation) is close to the end of the bowels it could work... don't see where it would hurt.... but it needs to be loosened from the rumen end too. Still, trying something that would not hurt them unless they have ruptured something...(is not the worst you could do) .... a rupture would mean quick intervention by a vet so probably not something you could fix in time if you didn't know about it anyway....

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
If he is swallowing at all, then use a syringe with mineral oil.... you can use cooking oil if that's all you have. As big a syringe as you have... give 10-20 cc or more at a time... space it out a little (hourly) something to "lubricate" the gut tract...giving it a little time to work inbetween...but it HAS to go down into the stomachs....
I have never given an enema to a bovine... if the blockage (constipation) is close to the end of the bowels it could work... don't see where it would hurt.... but it needs to be loosened from the rumen end too. Still, trying something that would not hurt them unless they have ruptured something...(is not the worst you could do) .... a rupture would mean quick intervention by a vet so probably not something you could fix in time if you didn't know about it anyway....

Castor Oil from either end wouldn't hurt... but if you have any size syringe, I would try some down the throat too....
Thanks.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Warm Epsom salt water....I've used for horses
For constipation or after they've plum laid down MAYBE due to weather. The cold front hit hear this morning with a 42 I think they said, predicted was 25 degree in Tulsa this morning to teens with negative teens wind chill by 8 am. He was in a shelter but walking around until he just fell over. It wasn't an hour after I was out there with him that I saw him and took him inside.
I've heard that as an enema for a while ( I think since I was kid) I believe that's what grandma did. If memory serves me right.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes enema, if he needs it. No manure could mean he's not eating or has blockage...as already discussed. He sounds very small and probably can't maintain warmth. Unfortunately, once they start "going down", there are often those internal organ problems we cant determine or treat.

Hoping the best for you. Some of your liquid, high powered supplements do well in small doses under tongue. Simple sugar water can help supply him with some energy for functioning. B vitamins...liquid or dissolved. The membranes in a mouth are super absorbent. Even such things administered rectally can be absorbed, tho less intensely. But both help when an animal isn't swallowing well enough and needs some energy. Water included...and that can be injected SQ for some absorbtion by body tissue.

How's he doing today?

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
We stayed up until 2 rubbing him to get the body to heat itself up. Ran castor oil up one end and vegetable oil down the other. After knowing he was swallowing put some gatorade powder in water and syringed it down. Finally put him in a big dog crate and went to bed. As much as I wanted him to stand, I didn't want that over night in house.

This morning he was still looking good, well laying up not laid out. Some more gatorade with a syringe. Went to town and came home, he wasn't looking to good. Pulled him out more gatorade and he actually tried drink it. That picked him up.
He stood up a little later
and (sorry about the underline) drank what was left. Put him in the laundry room he drank some more and he finally peed instead of drizzling and pooped some more. He did poop some while in the crate.

As of now he is looking like he'll make it just fine. He'll just have to stay in the garage tonight, then I think I'll put him in the trailer tomorrow. It's more enclosed than his shelter.