CLSranch a journal to compensate my lack of memory.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This guy will admittedly say he's a first time farmer so that's good. When it got stuck he went slightly to far still not being used to the dozer or any equipment and stopping with that clutch. It still crawls when pushed in. He ran it over an edge that fortunately was only 10'-12' down and got or had the bucket down. It wasn't straight up and down but well past 45. on a dry 45 it would crawl up and down all day. The truck was forgetting about the wet spot while rushing to get the dozer out at what should've been after work.
Fortunately my wife trust and believes me. She knows she came from town and this is just where and how I live.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh haven't posted in a bit. The exiting things to post means I was busy and ain't posting that day.
Last Fri I checked out a clean up and brush hogging job. I have to take out a few trees near some houses. Thinking I can use the winch on the trailer and a pulley to keep them safe and fall where I want them. Needed the tractor to clean up just to get out there, so I went across the street to get a load of wood. Trailer didn't make it home. While trying to ask someone if I could leave my trailer I started getting phone calls for doing a bee cut out. Good call bad timing. Had a lot of other work to do once home. Get the hay spear off the working tractor and get the bush hog off the little tractor to put on the other. Forgot it doesn't have a spring pen on the knuckle and the tractor doesn't have a center hole like the little one. Took pen out of the other brush hog, wrong size. Neighbor found a knuckle and pto shaft to swap.

Sat after loading everything up the night before so I could leave early I slept in got a late start. Found out the clean up was going to be twice the amount of work as I thought and it was a hard money bid. Barely got the tractor in and found there is more trees under the vines than standing. Had to mow about 18" high pick up limbs and stumps then do it again.

Kept rotating mow what I can make a little trail, cut down little trees, move them and everything that the mowing exposed, mow a little farther, repeat. Got pretty far before pto knuckle that attaches to the gear box snapped. That did allow me time to get into the bee hives to straighten out some bad comb.

Sun finally found a tire for the trailer after church. Went and got it picked up, home and unloaded. Used the little trailer and 4-wheeler to set out hay. I'm trying to drive the trailer out to places without any grass instead of setting out another whole round bale. I just put one in the yard and turned it on end to take off of it a little at a time.

Mon called the guy with the dozer again, still no answer. I left another message. It'd be nice to do that in his barn vs. trying to get a truck or tractor out in the mud to take down the trees and finish brush hogging at the other place. Didn't go get the needed tractor parts.

Today fixing to go get parts, and some more wood glue and stain to get another bee hive set up so I can do a cut for someone down the road.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Since I've posted. The bee cut out got delayed. Weather and personal things with the land owner. Took the 9N hydraulics apart and can't figure out what the problem is to fix it. I got a temp job welding at a little shop making pretty stuff for your garden. They are neat but things I and a lot of ya'll wouldn't buy. Not for that price anyway.lol

Got a week of rain a clear weekend and then another week of rain. Tomorrow would be good for the bee cut out.
The prego mare had a still born foal. :( Still need some rent pasture, Still need to figure out the 9N and get some more side work. The price of metal has doubled and then some, so going to buy a bunch of metal that is not sold is not best. But I said that last year and could've built some things months ago.

I'm wondering what to replant the pasture with this fall (besides not fescue) if I get some rent pasture IF. Then I would be much better off and this place wouldn't need hay 10 months out of the year.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What about rye grass and white ball clover for fall planting/ early spring grazing? Will Bermuda or Bahia grow there? Both are tough summer grasses.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Was debating on Rye. I have some Clover and Bermuda but not a lot of Bermuda in the pasture. Don't know much about Bahia.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My pastures are a mix of Bermuda, Bahia, crabgrass, and weeds for summer. Winter/early spring, clovers, rye (must be planted yearly) and weeds. I guess I should call the weeds Forbes, it sounds better. LOL
I sowed Pensacola Bahia last spring behind the horse barn on about an acre. I’ve let the horses graze it several time so far this spring.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Wow Bahia is $12 a pound from seed world. $278 for 40# ($6.95 a #), $20 for 7lbs at home depot ($2.86 a #). That's a little better.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
After looking it up I do have some Bahia. I think it gets ate down to fast to seed out or show the typical v-heads though.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I paid $300 at East Texas Seed Co in Tyler for 50 pounds of Pensacola Bahia. Once established, it sends out thick rhizomes and spreads. I paid about that much for 25 pounds of Giant Bermuda and sowed it all on the pipeline. Supposed to sow 10 pounds to the acre, I kinda doubled up on that.

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well an update. The bee's are alive, but I'm not getting any honey this year. The horses have the few acres mowed down to dirt.(feeding hay all year sucks) I've been welding in a little local shop and finally got a job on the road and will be heading to Nebraska soon.

Latest posts