CLSranch a journal to compensate my lack of memory.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Domingo is coming Thursday to cut tree, we didn't work a trade. Didn't bring it up. That's ok. it is several months off before he can pick up the ram and anything could happen. He sure liked the lamb. Uno was busy humping the ewes, it made Domingo smile. He admired my sheep and just stood at the gate looking them all over. I think I may have a market for commercial sheep here, for the small producer that just wants a small flock to raise meat for their own use.

Way to go on the beehive! You sure taught your son how to handle bees!

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did a full hive inspection yesterday. Very little honey and NO pollen. I started feeding them last week and they have put up some of sugar water. But they feed the young POLLEN and honey mixed. I have some fake pollen to get them by but was wanting/hoping to wait until spring before needing to do that.

They do better with real food just like people. I think I'm going to have feed the supplements just to have bee's alive come spring.:th I was joking about the drought being so bad that the grasshoppers were starving to death. After a full hive inspection by bee's would have before spring.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I also sold 2 horses yesterday. I wanted to sell 2 but 1 of those 2 and maybe the little stud. It's great for the income and lower feed bill. Yet one was MY riding horse and the other her replacement if I sold her.

Well the farther along colt is sold and now I have to break the stud colt so I have 2 rider's. Also I liked the filly that went with the mare.

I did get a compliment on the training though. I wouldn't have anyone else touch my horses even though I fit or weld for a living. I said the filly is NOT broke to ride, then I cracked a bull whip on each side of her then jumped on bareback with only a halter. The wife asked what do you mean she is not broke. I said I've done some ground work and that is all. A few short rides don't make a broke horse.
They offered more for the one I didn't sell than for both of those and never seen me ride her. I did shoot off of her yesterday at turtles.

I guess that they know when I say this is broke and I crack a whip off of her when they show up (no time to lounge and work her) then really crack a bull whip beside another that I say is not broke then jump on they figured that nice fat horse I said is the kids is probably not too bad.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I also sold 2 horses yesterday. I wanted to sell 2 but 1 of those 2 and maybe the little stud. It's great for the income and lower feed bill. Yet one was MY riding horse and the other her replacement if I sold her.

Well the farther along colt is sold and now I have to break the stud colt so I have 2 rider's. Also I liked the filly that went with the mare.

I did get a compliment on the training though. I wouldn't have anyone else touch my horses even though I fit or weld for a living. I said the filly is NOT broke to ride, then I cracked a bull whip on each side of her then jumped on bareback with only a halter. The wife asked what do you mean she is not broke. I said I've done some ground work and that is all. A few short rides don't make a broke horse.
They offered more for the one I didn't sell than for both of those and never seen me ride her. I did shoot off of her yesterday at turtles.

I guess that they know when I say this is broke and I crack a whip off of her when they show up (no time to lounge and work her) then really crack a bull whip beside another that I say is not broke then jump on they figured that nice fat horse I said is the kids is probably not too bad.
Don't know whether to like or be sad for that post. It is hard to sell the ones you like, and ride... especially since I know you did it to help cut the feed bills with the drought being so bad there. But, I admire that you made a choice that was not your first choice for the betterment of all in the long run.
Sounds like you have done a pretty darn good job of ground breaking the one already... I hope they can appreciate and continue with the positive work.
As far as the bees, glad that you found out their condition before it got too late in the year. Hope that you can get them fed up a little better even with it not being "natural food".... the drought has been especially tough on things like the "little critters" people don't think about like your bees.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
As far as ground work goes and starting horses goes I'm pretty fair. I should've never started welding. I hope they do appreciate it. It will help in the long run since I spend more time out of town than doing day work for the ranches around here, which I still do some.
I've been feeding more than I have grass for, for some time. I was hoping watering and fertilizing in July would get things back on track. My cattle even as mini's are basically feed lotted now. And the long run of haying and feeding a "hay burner" does add up.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I totally understand that. The feed bill gets on up there. The feed I buy for the sheep has gone up $6 a #50 bag. I’m sure glad I have grass for them. But that will be gone the first frost. I only have one field fenced for them and it’s starting to get gnawed down to the roots in their favorite parts. We’ve been in drought all summer but did get some showers the first of September. It helped but it is sure dry again. Nothing like where you are.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Staying warm today, except when the boys wanted to go outside before it really warmed up. It will be nice and warm Sat to do another hive inspection and see what the feedings did.
Was reading a few qoutes today and thought I'd put'em here.

The man who boasts today about what he'll do tomorrow, probably did the same thing yesterday.

The road to success is dotted with many tempting parking spaces.

Every minute you are angry you lose 60 seconds of happiness.

CLSranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've been working at a little local weld shop lately, but it looks like I'll be heading out again right after Thanksgiving. 900mls out to VA. That's a lot of diesel at 20k pds. I really need a long bed dually. The tires are almost maxed out on capacity when buying the "good" tires.

Latest posts