Clydesdale horses for joy riding.

cattlecait

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I want a draft sooooo bad. Right now because we're in an apartment, we kind of can't have any sort of horse at all, but I'm saving up because when we get back to Michigan - Fjord for Caitlin! (Or an American Cream Draft)

Electric

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Kelly G said:
I have a draft horse - and I LOVE him! I'd have a hundred if I could.
I love him ! Is he a fjord ? We have three, but they are darker colored.

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Electric said:
Kelly G said:
I have a draft horse - and I LOVE him! I'd have a hundred if I could.
I love him ! Is he a fjord ? We have three, but they are darker colored.
Yes, he's a brown dun Fjord.

Sorry to take so long to reply - I haven't been on here in ages!

hang on......more info coming.......

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'd like to introduce everyone to Ole! Our second Norwegian Fjord (grey dun). He is HILARIOUS!! I've never seen a funnier horse!

Rides and drives.....and EATS!!

Ole!

He loves a nap!
Oletakesasnooze.jpg

Bed-head from nap -
DSC_0261Large.jpg

DSC_0288Large.jpg

DSC_0283Large.jpg

DSC_0278Large.jpg

DSC_0304Large.jpg

DSC_0292Large.jpg

with o
001.jpg

One of his admirers..
DSC_0008Large.jpg

He's been an absolute joy and we're thrilled to have him!

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
BEAUTIFUL!!!! If I ever get a horse, it'll be a haflinger or norwegian fjord!!!!!

Kelly G

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! They are such great little horses!

My husband and I recently visited Iceland, and I spent some time photographing the Icelandic horses (cousins to the Fjords)...I'll post some pictures of them tonight - they were really interesting!

oldbag855

Just born
Reaction score
IMHO Drafts are like riding in a cadillac! I have ridden a few in my time and it's one of the smoothest rides. When I went back to riding my quarter horse, she's very large, I could tell the difference.

hlf1996

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Kelly G- Your horses are amazingly beautiful! :) And I thought my 15.2 hh quarter horse was big, LOL

Avalon1984

Just born
Reaction score
I breed Clydesdales and currently have six drafts in different stages of training. One of my mares I use as a beginners lesson horse for adults and she is doing fantastic. Everybody just loves her and is very comfortable around her despite her size. The others I use for everything from dressage to light jumping. I havent had a hard time finding equipment for them at all even though some of the girls are XXL size. I get my bridles for approx. $45-70 bucks and some decent saddles between $250-500. My farrier loves my horses and the trims or shoes (if needed) don't cost a fortune. When I was still boarding I never had trouble with finding a boarding stable or being charged more because "they eat more".

With the interest in drafts growing I have seen many shows now that offer classes for drafts under saddle so if you are interested in that, it would be a viable option vs. going to an open show. Training my horses has never been a problem as they are very eager to learn and enjoy attention. I have never had one of them rear on me and if there is an occasional buck it reminds me more of a bunny hop than anything. Ground manners are very important though as you don't want those big old hooves on your feet. I have however ridden anything from TB's, German Warmbloods, Arabs, QH's and after getting into Clydes I'd never go back. In my career I have been around some draft horses that showed very dangerous behavior but it was because the owner let them get away with everything and that is the same for each and every horse out there. If you feel like owning a draft horse Id say have at it, just keep in mind that all rules that apply to purchasing regular horses also apply to them. Meet the animal and spend much time with it prior to purchase. It would also be beneficial to take some lessons on it to become more familiar with how it moves and acts as well as to get the confidence to w/t/c on it. I always do pre-purchase exams. PM me if you have any further questions Id be happy to help.

Jen