CntryBoy777 - The Lazy A** Acres Adventures

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got to more seasonal temps today...hi was 59, 54 is "Normal" for this time of year...and headed down to low to mid 30s tonite. It is suppose to warm back up tomorrow and be in the 70s again this wknd, with lows in the 40s-50s.
Ran to town and the hardware store is still open, they just ended service on one of the incoming lines, and it happened to be the one I had. Tho, nobody in town handles the fast set sakrete, so I have to either haul it...or adjust the plan to accomodate the slower setting stuff. Will have to give it some thought. I may even just tamp them in, except for those that stand in water or has flow around them.
I am also re-thinking the duck area...with the wet weather coming in, and the insect "Revival"....I am going to have a load of sand delivered and make them a beach. That way the wet of the water won't be sitting on top of the ground til it absorbs into the clay.
I have done a lot of thinking today....which can be dangerous, but I have to change my attitude of all this....it isn't my "Choosing", but given the situation....covered in previous posts today....I have to get back to being a portion of the old "Me" and get on a schedule of animal care and attention. It isn't that I don't now, but I have gotten fairly lax in my self-discipline....and I would much rather "See" something coming, than to be way-laid by it. It will be easier from the house than the trlr....it is closer and will be able to see them from there....can't from the trlr. I need to get back to spending more time around all the animals. It will be much easier here shortly, but I have been working on Extra for close to 2yrs straight now, and I need that time to put towards the "Chore" time. Especially, if there are ever going to be any additions to the "Herd". Guess that's enough "Rant" for the day...:)

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
More time around the animals is always a good thing. I have been sticking around the feeders for about 20 minutes after I feed the sheep. They have gotten way more of a comfort zone than I thought would happen this fast. I just squat down by the feeder and they act like they don't know I'm there. Even our two wild ones didn't even react when I laid my hand on their neck.

Our flightiest ram lamb (#10) will come over and snuggle looking to see what part of my clothes he wants to nibble on. He may be sticking around if he keeps it up. Hoss (#3) has bonded with Maisy which may account for how much better she is doing. We have been thinking about having 3 or 4 wethers at some point to have as a training flock so who knows.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used to go and sit with the goats and take them limbs and stuff on rainy days and give it to them in their house, but when I have to get the Extra done something gets left out, I know ya have experienced the same thing, but I have to get done so I can get back to that. I want to build them some more stuff to lay on and tear up....whenever I work in their pen they are so curious it is hard to get something done, but we have fun together when I do. :)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
From my understanding it is only antibiotics that are added to feed, or feed with antibiotics that are included.

Not nearly as extensive as I thought then. It would be a pain if not near impossible to deal with a sudden need for some antibiotic if one needed to get to a vet, get a prescription and find somewhere to fill it.

@CntryBoy777 I didn't find tamping the posts in all that difficult and it is WAY cheaper than a lot of bags of sakrete. The bigger problem was finding dirt to use to backfill some of the holes. Somehow a 6" diameter post requires more dirt than you took out digging the 12" diameter hole, especially when you pull out numerous rocks in the process. I only used concrete on the one corner post that hit ledge at 2' down though I'll have to do it again on 2 posts in the north line where I hit ledge and water and gave up due to time limitations and weather. That section is all hotwire, not ideal for chickens.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean Fred. That is why we decided to dry lot the sheep this first lambing season. That way everything else gets done when it gets done and the sheep still have a perfectly safe environment while we get those things done. We intentionally left ourselves with the option of being "There is always tomorrow" when life gets in the way. You are under more pressure than we are to and that makes it rougher.

NH There is some logic in our thught process - at least sort of. :)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got out today and delivered eggs...had 18dz to give. Went to Lowe's and got the post hole tool to tamp posts in, the water has went down to about half way in the holes. We have to get back out tomorrow and planning on getting some brace poles and brace wire so I can get started getting that done.
Joyce's tomatoes made it thru the nite, it got down to 28, but she had them covered. They are looking really good...will try to remember to get a pic of them tomorrow.
My sister came down today to pickup her things she had left here, and we are discussing what to do with Dad's stuff he'll never wear or use again. This way there won't be much to sort thru in the future and our transition won't be questioned as to what was done with this or that. If anyone is knowledgeable or knows another that is about old coins, please let me know. I need some advice about some, cause I don't really know anything, thanks.
I'm hoping to get start tomorrow or Sat setting the posts, just have to see how time works out tomorrow. I have to decide where to dig some dirt from to tamp into the holes, cause that rain sure disapated the piles I took out of them. :)
But, since I will be toting it in the wheelbarrow I promise it won't be very Far away...;)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Except that he died 4 years ago, I would point you to my wife's uncle for the coin valuation ;)

You can get them professionally appraised but you might also be able to get an idea via Google. I don't remember the name of the site but I was able to find out about the Large Cent from the 1860s/70s that was found in the crawl space of the part of the house that was rebuilt.